Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes even the simplest things

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marinakoko17

Marinakoko17

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

Alright, I know that there are many topics in the same type, but mine's kind of unique.

Story (Might be relevant.)

After knowing that the old video card is the problem, we decided to buy another one, of the same model... nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. After weeks later, I was playing Rockman X8 for PC, and I changed the resolution from 600x400x16 to 800x600x32. After some minutes of playing, it freezed randomly. I didn't told it to anyone. But when I played it again in the same day, with the resolution normal, then it hanged again. So I decided to internet and had another game installed. Then it freezed again. And things got worse, when I play Youtube, It freezes. When I enter sites that had 2 or 3 ads, it freezes. Even doing Facebook, but rarely. And also, the "Restore Session" for Firefox. Then, Yahoo! Messenger. And lastly, it frequently hanged on the welcome screen and even before it. But it didn't freezes on the BIOS.

Specs:

Windows XP SP3
Intel Celeron D 2.66 GHz
nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

If there's more thing to ask, then ask me.

Edited by Marinakoko17, 29 August 2010 - 03:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Would you please post the make and model of this computer?

There are two things that come to mind that can cause this type of problem. One is a build up of dust inside the computer causing it to overheat. The is a problem with the RAM.

You can download and run Memtest86+. http://www.memtest.org/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Marinakoko17

Marinakoko17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:42 PM

I cannot seem to run Memtest86+. I always get an error. (ISO, bin, EXE)

Well, there's dust in the motherboard and the fan... So, yeah.
As for the model, the computer is old, I think it's already 6 or 7 years. But I can't recall what model is it.

My two brothers are thinking that the source of the problem is with the Motherboard, btw.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

Purchase some canned air and blow out the inside of the case.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

I cannot seem to run Memtest86+. I always get an error. (ISO, bin, EXE)

Memtest is downloaded as an ISO image, an ISO image is like a zipped program, it has to be extracted by a burning program that then creates a fully functioning program on a bootable disk, such as a CD-R disk or floppy.

What you need to do with this ISO image is the following:

Using a program such as imgburn you open image burn and point it to the ISO image, then send it to a burnable disk such as a CD-R, choose burn image to disk, the ISO will be extracted to the disk and when it is finished, the disk will have a complete edition of memtest on it.
You then boot to this disk and memtest will load on your screen, this by-passes the hard drive entirely, because you are booting from the CDROM disk, run memtest from this disk and allow 7 passes to take place.

If there are any errors in your RAM, memtest will report those during the tests.

Here is the link to imgburn burning software to convert the ISO to a usable program.

ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download Choose a mirror web site to download from in the list of mirrors.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 August 2010 - 10:09 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

I would suggest cleaning the interior of the case first as this could be the cause of your problem, or at the very least complicate your problem.

#7 Marinakoko17

Marinakoko17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:31 AM

Anyway, since the Motherboard can't handle what I did (read the Story), we decided to change the CPU itself (Which means, discarding everything except the CR-ROM, HDDs)

Thanks for the help though.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

You're most welcomed. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users