Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant Logoff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nakamaru

nakamaru

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

My friend has a problem with his compaq laptop running windows xp home edition. Every time he tries to log in it logs on and instatantly thereafter logs off after only showing his desktop wallpaper. It doesn't just not log on, it says logging off and goes through the entire saving settings etc logoff process. How can my friend get into his account and stop this from happening.

I've though about logging on as the default invisible administrator but that's only an option in safe mode and I don't want to go through that whole process. Any solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:55 PM

What you suggested is extactly what you should do. You should run the entire battery of antivirus' and antispyware. If you don't have any installed the following would be a good place to start...

Antivirus
AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
A Squared Free

Utility
cCleaner

Firewalls
Sygate 5.4(I personally use)
Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free.

Edited by acklan, 03 November 2005 - 11:57 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:08 AM

If your friend has only one user account then you don't have much choice but to go into safe mode. You wouldn't have to use the invisible administrator account as long as you can log in to his regular account. If his regular account has adminitrator priviledges, it would be the same as the invisible admin account.

You won't be able to do anything if you can't get logged in. So just see if you can get logged into any account in safe mode and if successful, run your security scanners as Aklan has suggested. The other option, if you can't get logged in, is the Recovery Console, and it is much more involved than Safe Mode. But there are some other things to try if you can get logged in. Let us know how it goes.

Tutorial for getting into safe mode here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=61

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:51 AM

hey i suspect your user profile is corrupt. how about creating another user and trying to login with that id.
if it works fine.. then login as administrator and copy all the data from the corrupt user profile. that should resolve the issue.

My friend has a problem with his compaq laptop running windows xp home edition. Every time he tries to log in it logs on and instatantly thereafter logs off after only showing his desktop wallpaper. It doesn't just not log on, it says logging off and goes through the entire saving settings etc logoff process. How can my friend get into his account and stop this from happening.

I've though about logging on as the default invisible administrator but that's only an option in safe mode and I don't want to go through that whole process. Any solutions?

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

In xp home you have to boot into safe mode to get to the administrators account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users