Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nv4_Disp Error

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Zipere

Zipere

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

My OS:Windows Xp, Home edition.

Starting off, a couple of days ago while browsing facebook, and logged into starcraft II. I started getting screen static and then a blue screen to a shut down. The blue screen error was explained by a nv4_disp. Which I googled and seems to be a video card error.

I did a file recovery and had a friend of mine reinstall all the motherboard drivers and 90% of the drivers needed to run my pc. The only one we didn't install was the newest version off the nvidia website. Due to a time restraint. So we just downloaded the regular drivers that I recieved when purchasing the 8800 GT GPU. (The disc). When I got home I wanted to make sure all my drivers were up to date so I proceeded by going to nvidia to get the latest driver for my 8800 GT. 5 minutes after the complete install while browsing the web looking for latest drivers off all my hardware, I got a blue screen again. This time not explaining but just flashing and shutting down my computer.

Now I know this is what was suggest, and this is what I did.. so should be a easy fix right? --> boot safemode uninstall and reinstall newest drivers for my video card. (8800 gt).

But it didn't take the "newest" updated drivers. But handled fine for several hours with the (disc drivers recieved with my GPU), while installing the rest of the drivers/networking etc.. with my "IT friend".

Now I'm wondering if I should uninstall the video drivers I installed and then procceed to install the drivers on the disc that came with my GPU. Problem being it's not the latest driver. I'm not the smartest with computers so what will this affect? or is there a fix to my problem that can allow the newest drivers to run without causing a blue screen.

I'm able to get into "safemode" and with "networking", but not able to access "last working configuration" (or however that is written).

Please help! I'll be watching the post all evening and through the weekend/next week. So I'll be responding to answers rather quickly

I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION that there are dollar signs on the loading screens!

Edited by Zipere, 28 August 2010 - 06:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Say again?

I did a file recovery

What is file recovery?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

Say again?

Umm when I boot the computer dollar signs take place of alot of the letters. Even the boot menu.

I did a file recovery

What is file recovery?

I think its called file recovery... Basically cleans off all the drivers and other stuff.. Kept all the programs though.. not sure the technical name for it.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Basically cleans off all the drivers and other stuff.. Kept all the programs though

You'll have to ask your friend, what exactly was done, because I'm not sure what you really did.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

Nothing but driver/motherboard install was done. I watched him do it all.

The problem is that after I installed current drivers the computer stopped working again. The same drivers that possibly caused the first crash..

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Are you saying, the motherboard was replaced?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

Are you saying, the motherboard was replaced?

No I did a system recovery. Wiping all settings and drivers.

We used my motherboard CD + other driver cds for the basic drivers of the computer.

When I wanted to get "fancy" and install the newer drivers on the manufacturer's website is when the problem happened again. (blue screen, dollar signs for letters, not letting me out of safemode unless I UNINSTALL all video drivers.)

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

Now, I guess, I understand.

What type of CD did you use to run recovery?
Some recovery CD, or regular Windows XP CD?
Do you have any errors in Device Manager?
What computer brand and model is it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

My computer "everex" walmart special. Was basically rebuilt by me. The only thing I kept was the 120 gb hard drive. The recovery system of this computer you just press "r" on boot up and you get a recovery menu. Similar to ones I've seen that use a CD.

I have a few "!" Errors in the device manager. 0ne being my "Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT". And the other being "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus". (which remembering now.. the only two drivers I installed before the second crash was "realtek sound" and the nvidia graphics card drivers).

So possibly the sound driver caused all this?

Brand was everex but like I said it was rebuilt.

Amd Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 5000+
2.61 Ghz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Microsoft XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Not sure that's what you need for information.

#10 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I'm also on my computers desktop right now. (using my laptop for this website though). I was able to get to the desktop when I went into device manager and completely uninstalled all video drivers.

I'm able to access the internet and what seems like all the programs that don't require graphics to run.

I still get the dollar signs on boot up. But I don't get a blue screen restart,... rinse and repeat session.

Edited by Zipere, 28 August 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

When you run a recovery like that, all drivers should be already installed, so there is no need to play with them.
Right after recovery and before you guys started to monkey around, was everything working just fine?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

When you run a recovery like that, all drivers should be already installed, so there is no need to play with them.
Right after recovery and before you guys started to monkey around, was everything working just fine?

Trust me no drivers were installed. all the "found new hardware" messages were popping up.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Let's get some more info about your computer....

Download System Information for Windows: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to your Desktop.
Get SIW Standalone (English-Only).
Double click on siw.exe to run the program.
Go File>Create Report File>HTML
Save the file to known location.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Well as I was waiting for a response I decided to check if my RAM and GPU were mounted correctly shutting down my computer.

NOW! For the love jesus I'm getting a Disk boot failure on starting my computer.. How the ?

I'm so confused

#15 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

Ok thank god

Did restart like 4 times and now I got into my desktop. This is so wacked.

working on what you told me to do 1 moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users