Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.Net Framework Disaster?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Danc20

Danc20

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

.Net Framework Disaster? Hello, I will try to make this as short as possible. I started experiencing problems with my computer a week or so ago. It started with me not being able to install any windows updates for the .Net Framework (KB982524) and (KB963707). I read some articles and uninstalled/reinstalled the .Net Frameworks. I uninstalled it, but when trying to reinstall it, it still thought the .Net Framework was still installed so I could not install .Net Framework 1.0 and therefore any further up than that. I tried deleting some registry .Net Framework stuff, but that just left me with more/other error messages. Eventually I just resorted to a system restore point, but I still could not install Windows Updates.

Now when I go into add or remove programs and click 'Change' in an attempt to repair it (wish I thought of that the first time) I get this message: "The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

Even worse, I now have an issue where I try to scan with Avira Antivirus and when I do try to scan, it brings up four Avira scan's at once, on a different person's account! I'm not sure if this is because the .net Framework is having troubles or because I uninstalled it, but both need to be fixed.

In short, I need help in getting the .Net Framework back together. The .net Framework is the primary concern at the moment.

I am on a Windows XP and this is my home computer.

Thanks for your patience and expertise .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

We can fix NET Framework :thumbsup:.

Download, install, run Dotnetfix Cleanup Tools - http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live....leanup_tool.zip. Note that this is a .zip file so you will have to unzip it and look at the files inside to see the .exe to run the program. This will remove all versions of Framework from your system, a necessary first step.

Then...download/install the following package: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en.

NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 are obsolete, you should not need either. The above download is the only package that you should need...it will contain elements of 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5, SP1.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

From what M$ has posted on Net Framework neither 1 or 2 is obsolete.

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_net_framewo...e_versions.html

If I've missed something, please enlighten me.

Edited by dc3, 28 August 2010 - 05:08 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

I don't know how enlightening I can be but I have a link worthy of being read, IMO: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/0...emove-programs/.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Danc20

Danc20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

That is very encouraging! Thank you Luis :thumbsup:

One more question before I fire off to do it though. When I use the Dotnetfix Cleanup tool, should I search for and delete registry keys (that is if dotnetfix doesn't clean them up) and folders like C:\Windows\Microsoft .NET (\framework)? There is also a DirectX for Managed Code folder that seems to be connected to .Net Framework 1.0 in the same folder, so if I delete the Microsoft .Net Folder I delete that too, but that might be fine.

Registry keys
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\currentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 (1033) and \Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Net Frameowork AU and \Net Framework Setup

Edit: Just thought of another one. When using the cleanup tool, should I use the option to uninstall All Versions or use option 1.0 and then 2.0, etc? The website here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/ says:

To guarantee that all versions of the .NET Framework work correctly, if you run the cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework, you must first remove all installed versions of the .NET Framework by using this cleanup tool...Suppose that you have the .NET Framework 1.1 and the .NET Framework 2.0 installed on your computer, and you plan to use this cleanup tool. In this scenario, you should use the cleanup tool to first remove the .NET Framework 1.1, and then use the cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 2.0. After you have removed both versions, you would then reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, and then install the .NET Framework 2.0, in that sequence.

I'm assuming the above cut out is old, when the cleanup tool did not have the remove all versions option, so I am defaulting on that option. Ready to go on your call :flowers:

Edited by Danc20, 28 August 2010 - 07:15 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

I can only tell you how I ran it.

I had NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5, SP1 installed.

I ran the tool, they were gone. I didn't do anything additional, certainly did not play in the registry.

I then downloaded/installed NET Framework 3.5, SP1, which includes elements of 2.0 and 3.0 versions.

I've never had a problem with NET Framework since I first installed it and understood why I was suddenly having to login to my system (I'm a sole user, do not normally login).

I used the tool on the system I'm currentlly on, with XP SP3 installed.

Louiis

#7 Danc20

Danc20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Okay, great. I will try it again and see what comes of it. I will let you know how it goes, thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by Danc20, 28 August 2010 - 09:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users