Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing internet when I plug in router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 garysanchez

garysanchez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

I'm connected to the internet via wireless through a router located a floor above me. I have a different wireless router that I would like to connect to my computer, but whenever I connect it I lose my internet through my wireless connection. How can I solve this? Any help is much appreciated. I'm running Vista if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

When you say you want to connect to a different router what do you mean? You bought one? There is another open one available? You cannot simply add another router without another internet connection for it to connect to.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

When you say you want to connect to a different router what do you mean? You bought one? There is another open one available? You cannot simply add another router without another internet connection for it to connect to.

Not entirely true....

You can do it via ICS if you "play" with the settings enough, by making the wireless WLAN the primary connection and share it. Then use the laptop as a host PC, then hook the router up(either working as a switch/ap or as a full router).

---

@Topic Starter: More information is needed. What the make/model of the router and computer(and wireless card if it didnt come with the PC), is the wireless network secure or unsecure?

Are you trying to make it so that your laptop and router "repeat" or "retransmit" the internet connection from the other router?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users