Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Insprion 1000 wont boot anymore!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gene.shallot

gene.shallot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

So, i found this dell inspiron 1000 that my dad had from an old job, and i just replaced a 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Laptop Memory Model ACSO266X64/512 - OEM for it because it was gone... and it wont boot anymore! I had a friend look at it and he put a bootzilla 4.2 disk into it but nothing is helping!

It will turn on, and go to the dell screen and ask if i want to go to setup f2 or boot menu f12, and if i push either one, it still stays on the dell screen. on startup i can hear the fan whir and the disk drive start going, but after a few seconds the disk drive stops. any ideas?? :thumbsup:

Edited by gene.shallot, 28 August 2010 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gene.shallot

gene.shallot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

NEW INFO

When i turn it on it will go to the dell screen for about a minute, and then the cylindrical logo light goes on and off and then the computer is completly unresponsive, but still on the dell screen. I found this out by pressing the caps lock on and off until i noticed that the caps lock light wouldnt respond anymore. Also, i found that i could turn the machine on without the battery in, if that is any help.

Edited by gene.shallot, 28 August 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Was it working before? Are you sure this computer was in operating condition when you got it? Note, the computer will not boot without memory. Also, that computer may not recognize a 512 mb stick, if you have a 256 mb stick I would try that and see what happens. From what Im finding, Dell only has support for 2 256 mb sticks for a maximum of 512 mb on that computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

There are two slots for RAM, the maximum for each slot is 256MB, for a total between the two of 512MB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users