Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will upgrading a processor reduce the fan RPM?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jwblue

jwblue

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

I have an Intel E5200 Dual Core processor on a Sony all-in-one computer. It is a hybrid notebook desktop computer.

Whenever I play the Mahjong Titans (the game that comes with Windows 7), the fan runs at a high RPM. When Windows boots, it is at 2150 RPM. After playing Mahjong Titans for about an hour, the RPM goes to about 3,300 and the fan is loud. It always happens.

The temperature of the cores remain at 36 and 38 degrees.

If I upgrade the processor to an E7400 Core 2 Duo, will that processor not heat up as much as the E5200 when playing Mahjong Titans and consequently not need the fan to run at a high RPM? Someone said tht it will generate similar heat, as the two processors are both 65W 45nm Wolfdales. Is that true?

The temperature of the cores remain at 36 and 38 degrees.

The graphics card is a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD. I was told that could cause the fan to run at a high RPM. Could Mahjong Titans which is a 3D game be too much for the x4500 to handle? Would a dedicated GPU solve the problem?

I am not looking for any other solutions. I have tried everything else imagineable.

Edited by jwblue, 28 August 2010 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

That graphics "card" is an integrated chip on the motherboard, not a dedicated card, and it doesn't appear that you can add a graphics card that is going to allow you to play the more resource intensive games.

Laptops are not designed for serious gaming, and the end product of this is heat because on the intensive use of resources.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

If anything, a new CPU upgrade will just make it run the same, or hotter, not cooler, and Dc3 is correct, you cannot upgrade your graphics. If your set on those two solutions, then your out of luck I'm afraid. However, there are 2 other solutions that may work. The first is to download a third party fan controller like speedfan and use it to adjust your fan speed, however, your chipset may not support software like this, however, the software is free so its worth a try. The other alternative, would be to find out what size fan it is and order a quiet replacement fan compatible with your computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users