Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Start-Up Problem (Power-Outage)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ezc19

ezc19

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

After a power-outage (I believe the power-outage happened during start-up), when I try to start up windows, I come to a black screen that tells me there has been a problem and gives me a number of options (Safe mode, start windows normally, etc.). I've tried all of these options, but it says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system." I can not get windows to start up.

I'm computer illiterate, but any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

System manufacturer and model, please?

You probably need to run the chkdsk /r command on your system partition.

What typically may occur during a power outage, surge, etc...results in key files becoming damaged. The chkdsk /r command may be able to overcome such, if that's the problem.

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Louis

#3 ezc19

ezc19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

It's a Sony Vaio. I do not think I have the XP install CD, but I'm looking for it.

It was not actually a "power-outage", the power line to the laptop got cut, so there's no chance of it being a surge or anything like that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Your error message is typically indicative of a damaged registry, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

You need to pay particular attention to the Warning in the second paragraph...it indicates that your system falls into the category described here. Which means that you should not attempt this fix, it is written for users like me...who have XP CDs which were purchased and later installed on systems the purchasers had or assembled or had assembled.

You need your recovery/restore disks furnished by your system manufacturer.

Louis

#5 ezc19

ezc19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

Your error message is typically indicative of a damaged registry, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

You need to pay particular attention to the Warning in the second paragraph...it indicates that your system falls into the category described here. Which means that you should not attempt this fix, it is written for users like me...who have XP CDs which were purchased and later installed on systems the purchasers had or assembled or had assembled.

You need your recovery/restore disks furnished by your system manufacturer.

Louis

Any idea how to go about this? Do you think this is fixable or am I going to have to get another laptop?

Thanks for your help.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

Your computer should have a recovery partition for repairs like this. Unfortunately is may take the computer back to the condition it was in originally, this means losing data and applications that were added after you got the computer.

If you can find or borrow a installation CD for the exact version of your operating system you can perform a repair installation which will not effect your data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users