Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike9685

Mike9685

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

I recently had a problem with my Sunbelt Software Firewall. While talking to the tech, he had me disable the firewall to run some tests (~5 minutes). He also had me do a SFC/ Scannow on the XP SP3 install. I did a scandisk on the C: drive. I rebooted, and now I can't download updates. Whenever I go to the Update website, I get Error number: 0x80248011. I've tried ALL the solutions I've found in various websites. No Luck. I've run every anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-rootkit program I can find (nothing found), but STILL can't check/download updates. I have the OTL, DDS, and HiJackThis logs/reports available. (I haven't figured out about "zipping" the DDS Attachment...)). Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Exactly what updates are you refering to?

I am assuming you are talking about microsoft's windows update.

Your firewall most likely took control of the program with a rule, do you still have this firewall installed?

Here is some information from Microsoft for error 0x80248011. It is the second number listed on this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

Here's the clip.

0x80248011 error code
Before you resolve this problem, clear the Microsoft Internet Explorer cache. To do this, following these steps:
On the Internet Explorer Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the General tab, click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet Files section.
Click OK, and then click OK again.
To resolve this error, recreate the database that stores Windows Update information or Microsoft Update information on your computer. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: net stop wuauserv

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: cd /d c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Where c:\Windows is the folder where Windows is installed.
At the command prompt, type the following command including the quotes, and then press ENTER: rd /S /Q DataStore
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: net start wuauserv.
Exit the command prompt window.

If this does not resolve the problem please let us know.

Kind regards.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 August 2010 - 01:28 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Mike9685

Mike9685
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Bruce,
I tried the update after the SFC/ Scannow (plus hadn't checked update in 3+ weeks.

Tried the fix from the Microsoft Knowledge base, no change.

Uninstalled the Viper firewall (used the Windows firewall), cleaned the registry, rebooted - no change.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

#4 Mike9685

Mike9685
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

Bruce,
Here's the other Microsoft Update website error code - Error number: 0xC8000643

(And yes, I've tried all the solutions on the Microsoft website and everything I could find in several BB's.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users