Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 simono

simono

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area.... hope so. I was wondering, I have an emachine with a hatachy (spelling??) hard drive. I was given another emachine from a friend that was parted-out but still had the hard drive in it. I watched a few youtube videos on how to properly change the hard drive but, the hard drive is a seagate hard drive which has a big thick ribbon to plug-in and I can plug it in to the mother board. The other power plug is different, and does not fit the socket. There's one that will fit but it runs off of the dvd and is for another dvd/cd should you want to add another. It won't reach the hard drive when it's mounted anyhow.

Is the thick black ribbon on this drive for the transfer of data? like the thinner one plugged into the original hard drive. And if I splice a plug onto those wires that are the power... would it be worth it? Or am I taking a risk of some-sort.

I thank you and hope to make some friends here.... and help in anyway I can...

Simono

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer.

If you allow me to have the moderators move your topic to the internal hardware forum, your post will get a better chance of being answered.

I will offer you advice on which cable you might be refering to shortly.

Kind regards and thanks for choosing Bleepingcomputer for assistance.

Bruce.

Edited by elise025, 28 August 2010 - 05:56 AM.
Moved as requested ~ Elise

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

If it is a wide ribbon cable it is an IDE cable, the precursor to SATA. The power connection for the IDE hdd is the old molex connector. They make extensions for situation like yours. I did a quick Google and found a lot of extensions available, check out this out.

I don't know just what is on that hdd, but I would hook it up as a slave drive so that the computer doesn't have a chance to boot from it. When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users