Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Memory Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Riley1983

Riley1983

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:20 AM

I was playing Mafia 2 when my computer shut off due to overheating I believe.
Then I tried to start it back up and it gave me a beep code which was one short beep and one long beep. I looked up the code (I am using phoenix bios) and it said it was a memory issue.
I took out one ram stick to see if it was maybe a bad memory stick and it started back up again.
I then decided to try to put back the one I just took out, I figure it might not have been put in properly and the computer booted up normally.
Should I take this as an indicator that my RAM is okay or could a stick still be broken?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hello ,may have just need to be reseated ,gige it a check with memtest86,download the iso for windows and create a bootable disk .
http://www.memtest86.com/

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:57 AM

Yes, time will tell. Tarnished contacts are a known issue, which can be cleared up by removing and re-seating the memory as the contacts wipe across. If it stays good, you're in luck.

When DIMMs are removed, if the edge contacts don't appear shiny, they can be gently polished with a pencil eraser, or more correctly (but not many people would have one) a burnishing pencil.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users