Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VoIP mobile without a carrier

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Noyoudidnot

Noyoudidnot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

I am trying to cut down all my bills in the most effective and technologically advanced ways possible, while still being legal.. and the thing I am working on now is my phone service. Ive been looking at voip, is seems very promising but theres ONE feature I need that it does not seem to have..

I dont have a home phone, I dont use one. No need for one, I have a cell phone and it fits the purpose of both... Im currently using a shared verizon plan with a family member that cost us $100 monthly for 2 phones at 400 minutes a month.

I also have verizon FiOS high speed internet, which is $120 a month. These are seperate totaling to $220 a month. ( although I think TV is included with the internet, but not home phone.. ill check back on that one ).

But my FiOS( as with anyones I believe ) comes with wireless broadband. ( if possible ) I intend to use this with voip, to save on phone bills. However, I want to dump my mobile carrier completely. My phone can connect to the internet, so why do I need a phone service carrier when I can just use my internet? ( from same company.. redundantly )

So, what Im looking for is a way to do the following

1: Take my wireless with me everywhere. Thinking about using cradlepoint. http://www.cradlepoint.com/.. or possibly a mifi thing? Not all that sure what those are, still looking.

2: Get a voip service on my mobile phone.. possibly skype?

3: Use them in conjunction/harmony to have a usable mobile phone for a much much much much lower price.

Anyway, Ive gotta go to bed. Busy busy day tomorrow and I cant stay up all night looking for ways to save money. ( although.. I really wish I could.. ) Anyone whos super savvy with mobile devices would be appreciated, im running blindfolded right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users