Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert VHS to the computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hoping to convert some vhs tapes into my computer so I can manipulate the video.

Found several posts at BC all from 2005 and 2006

Hoping to find open source program.

I have a video card of some type

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

I use a round-about way of doing it:

VHS > copied to set top DVD > rip DVD to harddrive using DVDShrink, or ImgBurn.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

Was wondering the same thing (VHS to my computer) and also came up with the same results when I did the search ~ articles/posts from quite a few years back. Even followed a link to an old CNET article from 2006, I think.

Quick question: 'set top DVD' <<does this mean a stand alone machine that records the VHS to a DVD that you then rip to your desktop?

Appreciate what ever information you can provide.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Yes.
It's a stand alone DVD/VHS player/recorder.
After copying the VHS to DVD, finalize the DVD.
Once finalized, DVDShrink will recognize it.
I use DVD-RW discs, so I can just erase and reuse them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response, long week at work, but wanted to say 'thanks' for the information.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

You're quite welcome, Winterland1965.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

If you have a TV Tuner card, you can attach coaxial composite cable from VHS-player to composite-in port of TV tuner card. Then you can use DScaler to view and record the played video. However because of the analog composite cable, the quality is not so good. Also many TV tuner cards don't have composite-in port.

#8 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

I use TG911's approach. Tho I don't do any really heavy editing, just cut out or join video, or edit the audio. Don't exactly know what you want to do to manipulate the video, but here's what I do. Hope it helps someone.

I just copy & paste the VIDEO_TS folder from the finalized DVD to the hard drive. Tho DVDshrink works also,

To cut out unwanted video, or edit the audio, First, I use VOBMerge to join the .VOB's to one file, I find all the .VOB video files in the VIDEO_TS folder. VTS_01_1_.VOB. VTS_01_2.VOB etc. and add them one at a time. I've use it to join 2 or even 3 DVD's also with no problems, Tho it's better to make a "merged.VOB for each DVD, so, If I plan on burning 2 DVD5's to a DVD9, there will be a good place for layer break.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

Then to cut out unwanted footage, or to edit the audio, I use Projectx to make my cut points, and/or demux. Projectx will cut both audio and video, while keeping the A/V in sync. You won't hear the audio, and the video in the preview will look bad, but the finished video will look quite good.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ProjectX

After Projectx demux. You'll see a M2V video file, and an AC3 audio file. To edit the audio I use Audacity Beta, with the FFMgeg plugin to open the AC3, or Belight to convert the AC3 to .WAV.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows

To install FFMpeg Library;

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?t...s#installffmpeg

Then I use Avidemux to put the edited M2V & AC3 back together, So I can author the video with DVDstyler, or DVDAuthorgui.
(DVDstyler, on my PC, seems to choke on M2V files)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDStyler

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDAuthorgui

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

To remux the M2V and AC3 with Avidemux, go to "file" find and open your M2V file, click "yes" to index. then click on "Audio" in the toolbar. > "Main Track" > change Audio Source to "External AC3" click the "open" button to browse for your merged AC3. Click OK.
On the left make sure the Video and audio is set to "copy" then choose your output format.
I use MPEG-PS (A+V).

Or, I just use DVDAuthorgui to remux/multiplex the edited M2V & AC3 set chapters and burn it back to DVD.

Also check out the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR instead of the standalone DVD recorder.

Have fun. :thumbsup:

#9 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

12x48y,

Thanks for the reply,
It will take me a while to figure this out ...the information is great.

been one of those crazy couple of weeks,
Monitor got all fuzzy, replaced it
mother board fried, swaped it out
computer in truck wacked out, replaced it
starter in truck quit, replaced it
front pads on car prematurely died, swapped em out used NAPA this time

I will get this video converted finally.

Thanks

#10 higuy

higuy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

You need a capturing device, like tv card. I recommend VirtualDub as a capturing software, and DVDFlick as DVD authoring software. Both are freeware.

#11 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

@Martel

Wow. Tough couple of weeks. Hope it gets better.

I use the DVD recorder method quite a bit, (I record a lot of concerts/shows off Dish Network HD) I don't know what I ever did without my VHS to DVD set top box.
I record in the highest quality possible, (HQ) about 1 hour on a DVD5. Then copy all the DVD's (VIDEO_TS folders)to PC to make one DVD5 or DVD9.

I just realized Projectx will also merge VOBs, so you really don't need VOBmerge. And Projectx & Avidemux work very well on the Mac.

Another good free program I use all the time, to cut out unwanted footage, and find chapter points, is Mpeg2schnitt,

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Mpeg2Schnitt

it's a little easier to make cuts than in Projectx.
So you would load all of your .VOB movie files, (in the VIDEO_TS folder) in Projectx, click "prepare"
tic the "Demux" checkbox, then the "Start" button to demux to an M2V, AC3.
Then open Mpeg2schnitt, click "File" "open" and find your M2V, it will automatically add the AC3 audio. Make your cut in and out, then add it to the cutlist. Do this for each cut. You'll see once you try it a few times. Mpeg2schnitt will then cut both AC3 and M2V. From there you can burn to a DVD or remux (mux) with Avidemux to open in a video editor, or whatever.

The quality is superb.

Capturing with VirtualDub is another way of doing it.

Cheers

Edited by 12x48y, 22 October 2010 - 09:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users