Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Business Backup ideas please

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

My goal is: Once I have the computer in a state I prefer, I want to preserve a copy of the Hard Drive so I can simply put the Hard drive back to my preferred state of operation.

Why not just do a complete reinstall? After a complete reinstall, I have to go through days of pain removing all of the "gifts" and configuring all the settings. (Taught me to love XP.)

Now that I have an efficient, well running machine, I would like to preserve it in some way so I don't have to endure the pain of recreating it again.

What I have done: I thought I could accomplish this with Windows Complete PC Backup saved to an External Hard Drive connected via USB. I can see from other threads on this Forum, that issues with this tool are understood.

Backup goes fine. All of the problems have occurred when I attempt to Restore.
I insert the Recovery DVD and restart.
On the System Recovery Options I select "Windows Complete PC Restore"
I have received all sorts of messages including:

"Can not detect backup device”
“An internal error occured while enumerating backup sets."

I have confirmed the computer can read the Backup device.

My question: 1. Can the Windows CompletePCBackup accomplish my goal?

If yes, what am I doing wrong?
If no, any suggestion what to move on to using?

The goal here is: How do I preserve how I want the computer and avoid the pain of a clean reinstall.

Any and all ideas are welcome. You may have the idea that leads me down the path the utopian answer! I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,
FP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

My goal is: Once I have the computer in a state I prefer, I want to preserve a copy of the Hard Drive so I can simply put the Hard drive back to my preferred state of operation.

Just use an imaging backup program like Macrium Reflect. Unless you have an unusual disk controller, the free version should work fine. The boot CD has built in USB 2.0 support to restore from external USB drives.

If you keep your system partition lean, like 50 GB or less used, you should be able to restore in less than an hour.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Another alternative for cloning the hard drive, EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users