Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus altering mp4 files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 likwidsh0k

likwidsh0k

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi guys,

My first post here please be gentle :thumbsup:

I have a Ramnit.A virus on a laptop and have gone through alot, and atm after running KIS, malwarebytes and CureIt it looks clean but will do a reinstall. I had connected USB drives to it before I got the virus. One has alot of flac and mkv & mp4 movie files on it. I was advised after all my cleaning so long as autorun was disabled in Windows7 and autorun.inf removed from the USB I could connect it to my clean PC and very unlikely those files are infected.

I did this ran KIS and malwarebytes checks when connected with no malware found and all seemed fine. Later I copied a dozen of the mp4 files to the PC for an existing torrent to upload some data. I was very surprised and got the sinking feeling when only 3 passed the hash check. Having a look I discovered the other 9 were 1 meg different in file size most smaller a couple larger. The files play fine and the movies look normal but they fail the hash check and are the only versions of the files.

Immediately I turned off the PC and this morning downloaded latest version and ran CureIt and it found no viruses. However I am concerned?

Can a virus infect/modify mp4 files, is there anything else to maybe explain the file changes and hash check fails. Should I be worried?

Thank you very much for your help

This is my main thread and progress on a local Australian forum - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1513578

Cheers,
Lik

Edited by likwidsh0k, 27 August 2010 - 05:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users