Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Crashes, Black Screen, But Power Stays On

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

I have a HP m1070n Media Center PC running MCE 2004 SP2, 1GB RAM. I bought the computer used for $100, which wasn't bad considering it was almost $1,000 when it came out. As soon as I got it, I used DBAN to wipe the hard drive and performed a fresh install of XP MCE. Everything went fine for a while, but then suddenly I would be in the middle of something and the screen would go black, followed by the message "Monitor Going To Sleep", as it does when I shutdown the PC. It mainly occurs during an .AVI to DVD video conversion, but has occurred while using something as simple as Notepad. The only thing I can do is a hard shutdown and reboot to bring it back up. I know that the entire computer crashes as soon as the screen goes black because when I reboot, I find a DVD folder that's size matches up with where it was during the conversion process. In other words, if the conversion is 50% complete when the crash occurs, I end up with a 50% finished DVD file. The problem will sometimes occur whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it will go a few weeks without issue, and then suddenly it starts up again, and will continue until it decides to stop. Anyone out there have any idea what could be going on? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

One of the things I would start off with is the computers BIOS setup utility under the power settings, see if any options are enabled for putting the computer to sleep.

I would also see what power saving options are enabled in Windows, like turning off various pieces of hardware such as video graphics and hard drives.

Or settings that allow windows to put various devices to sleep.

You set those options to NEVER.

Check your device manager for devices which have allow windows to turn off this device to save power.

These may not resolve your problem, but it's worth a try.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 August 2010 - 05:36 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Bruce, I've already disabled any sort of "power-saver" features, never turn off hard disks, never turn off monitor, disabled hibernation (I always turn that sh!t off. I know the damn thing is on, and it's on for a reason, otherwise I would shut it down, you know?). So nothing is set to shut any component down as far as I know (I will check the BIOS, but I don't think anything is going on in there.). I'm no expert by far, but I think that it may be one of two things: the CPU is about to crap out on me (which isn't a huge problem, $40-50 and about 20 minutes of work). I figured this would explain the crash of everything, all the whilst keeping the power on. Maybe, maybe not? 2) The PC did not come with SATA DVD drives and I have added SATA drives using IDE to SATA converter cables (which I've heard nothing but bad things about, however, I've never heard of them causing a complete crash like this). I've considered buying a PCI card with SATA hook ups to replace the IDE converters. What gets me is this thing is just random as hell. The past week it worked fine. Yesterday it crashed twice, once right after the desktop loaded up. I've run software to test the CPU and everything looked fine, but the computer never crashed while running the program's "Torture Test". Maybe that's why it didn't find any problems with the CPU?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Worth Reading, IMO.

Louis

#5 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

@ hamluis: The monitor I'm using right now is a HP 22" that's only a few months old. So, I'm pretty sure the monitor is not at fault. In fact, I'm 100% positive it is not monitor related, as I have waited on the computer to crash and then plugged in the monitor that came with the computer. Nothing shows on that one either. As I stated, this is definitely not a monitor issue because the entire PC stops/freezes/crashes when the screen goes black. If you go back and read my initial post (the part about half finished video conversions) you'll know that a monitor, even the sh!tiest one on the market, would not cause this type of issue. Whatever is going on here is definitely deeper than a monitor problem, but I'll try anything that you guys suggest (just to make sure it's not something simple and trivial that ends up being the problem). Thanks for the ongoing help guys, and keep it coming. This has become the bane of my existence, seeing as I also use this PC for work.
PC Problem=Less Income :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users