Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrxero2

mrxero2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

I have been having a lot of weird issues with my computer lately, and I cannot get them resolved.
I believe the issues stem from running Combofix on my computer. However, I cannot guarantee that is what caused the problems, I suppose it could be malware.
I first noticed many of the problems immediately after I ran Combofix and it restarted my computer.
Here is a list of the issues I have been having.

1. programs won't show up in the taskbar - they minimize to a small title bar just above the taskbar
2. no sound
3. some programs will not update - adobe reader
4. malwarebytes Antimalware won't run - I get a "run-time error "372':Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application." message whenver I run the program.
5. I get the same message if I try to reinstall AntiMalware
6. hard drive is constantly working, like windows indexing or search is constantly running
7. I tried to use system restore, but I get the message "system restore was not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again."

I've done some searches for solutions to some of the individual issues and I am not successful with any of them so far.
Any help you can give me is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

If System restore won't work you may want to try the Last known Good Configuration. If that fails, you might wan to do a Repair Installation of the operating system.

You write that the hdd is constantly working, does this mean that the LED indicating hdd use is constantly on? If is the case, then you may have a problem with the hdd. Obviously you have access to another computer, so what I would suggest is that you go to the manufacturer's wed site and download their diagnostic tool to see if you have a problem with the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

4. malwarebytes Antimalware won't run - I get a "run-time error "372':Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application." message whenver I run the program.

See these instructions http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=7377

Edit to add .... latest version of MBam is 1.46

Edited by Jacee, 27 August 2010 - 04:52 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 mrxero2

mrxero2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

See these instructions http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=7377

Edit to add .... latest version of MBam is 1.46

When I try to install SubinAcl.msi, I get the following message:

"The Windows installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Please Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I am not in safe mode and I have restarted the computer, pressed F8 during startup to get to the safe mode menu and made sure I started window normally. I get the same message.

#5 mrxero2

mrxero2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

If System restore won't work you may want to try the Last known Good Configuration. If that fails, you might wan to do a Repair Installation of the operating system.

You write that the hdd is constantly working, does this mean that the LED indicating hdd use is constantly on? If is the case, then you may have a problem with the hdd. Obviously you have access to another computer, so what I would suggest is that you go to the manufacturer's wed site and download their diagnostic tool to see if you have a problem with the hdd.

When I try the last known good configuration, I get what I have now.
I try repair of the windows installation, but my CDRom doesn't seem to want to read the old beat up disc I have with windows on it.
I am not using another computer, I am using the computer I am having a problem with. I will download Western Digital's diagnostic tool and reply with the results.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

See this link ... it looks like you may have an answer to your problem here http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-390-win...d-not-be-access

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 mrxero2

mrxero2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

See this link ... it looks like you may have an answer to your problem here http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-390-win...d-not-be-access

I tried re-installing Windows installer. I was presented with a setup error:
"Setup could not verify the integrety of the file Update.inf. Make sure crytographic service is running on this computer."

I did a little research and found that I could start the cryptographic service by accessing it under control panel>administrative tools>services. It shows up under the standard tab as CryptSvc. When I try to start the service by right-clicking on it and selecting start, I get the following error.
"Could not start the CryptSvc service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

I did a little research on that error and found that my Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service was not running and that I should start it. When I right click on the service (found in the same location as the Cryptographic service), and try to start it, I get the following error:
"Could not start the Remote Service Call (RPC) service on local computer. Error 998: invalid access to memory location."

At this point I have a hard time finding anything in the knowledge database or through a google search to direct me to the next step.
There were some alternatives to what I did with the Crypt svc problem and the RPC problem, but nothing I tried worked.

Edited by mrxero2, 29 August 2010 - 11:20 PM.

#8 mrxero2

mrxero2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

I downloaded the western digital diagnostic software for my hard drive and it indicates an error on the quick test.

Status Code=07(Failed read test element)

I suppose this means my drive is defective and most likely is causing my error(s)?
Can anyone confirm this?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:42 AM

I would run the long test to be sure, but it looks like there is definitely a problem with the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 braincramp

braincramp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

My hard drive was running constantly and slowing my computer down to a crawl and I discovered that windows was running a service called index search which was the problem for me . I was able to turn this off in system tools or msconfig under the tab "services" and now everything is much better.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

I would still run the long test considering the error you got from the short test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users