Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NOT ABLE TO UPDATE CD ROM DRIVER

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuesAcct

SuesAcct

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Hello Everyone and Happy August 27th!

I am new here but am so glad a family member recommended your site to me, just in the nick of time!

Here is my problem.

I have an Gateway pc, I think I purchased it in 2003.

I have windows XP on it
512 MB ram (I know I NEED more)

Anyways, here goes:
I custom ordered it from Gateway myself.
I have a CD hardware that came with it, when I first got it, I was able to save things on CD, or rewrite onto them etc, then I got a virus on the PC and had to erase everything. Fine, I did that and installed everything from the Driver discs that came with my PC. From that point on, I wasn't able to save anything onto a CD, even ripping music wasn't possible because it said that my CD wasn't one made to do that. But I know thats not true, because when I talked to the Gateway people, I specifically told them I wanted one that was rewriteable etc and when I got the PC, I was able to do that. Until, I had to reinstall everything.

Well, I've basically just never been able to use that option since then and just put it in the back of my mind. However, a year ago, ANOTHER virus, (I know, no more downloading songs from Limewire for me) infected my PC and I had to do the same thing, reinstall everything because nothing would work. So, today I decided to update my drivers using Driver Max from CNET.com and its not even recognizing my CD rom driver to update it. It doesn't even show it. So, I manually searched GOOGLE and found the the current driver needed to install thats an updated version. I went to install it and it stopped and said I dont have hardware to support that driver. The driver that I DO have for the cd rom, is from 2001, which is crazy cause the PC was purchased in 2003 so I KNOW that is an older driver that somehow was loaded on my PC but I dont know from where.

Here is my CDROM: Its a

LITE-on LTR 48246S

I have searched my gateway CD's to find the driver for that and I have found NOTHING so far, so I'm not sure where the driver would be for that.

Also, I even went so far today as to open up the tower, (yes, I did know how to do that LOL :thumbsup: because my brother told me to do that and unplugged the CDROM cord, waited a bit and plugged it back in and re-started the PC hoping it would recognize it all as new hardware and install the correct driver, but when I turned on the PC, it never even mentioned it at all. It just picked up where it was before.

So..........whew...........if you're still reading THANK YOU! and what are your suggestions?

Cheers,
Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

What burning software are you attempting to use?

I also want to point out your drive is rahter old and its usefulness may have passed.

Here are some things you could try.

Please read carefully through the solutions below.

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

When you try to burn data to a CD-R or a CD-RW, you do not have the option to send data to the CD drive.

When you view the properties of the CD-R drive or the CD-RW drive, you notice that the Recording tab is not displayed in the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, where drive_letter is the letter of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

Note To view the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, click Start, click My Computer, right-click the CD drive that you want, and then click Properties.

Additionally, you may receive the following error message:
There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive.

Edit the Windows registry
To resolve this problem, try to edit the Windows registry so that the drive is identified as a recordable device.Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To edit your Windows registry, first back up the registry so that you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. After you back up the registry, edit the registry so that the drive is recognized by Windows as a recordable device. Finally, verify that Windows recognizes the drive as recordable.

Note If the drive is not listed on the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), the drive may not work with your computerís built-in CD-copying functionality, regardless of the registry setting. The HCL is a list of computer hardware that is compatible with a particular operating system. To see whether your drive is included on the Windows HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)
Step 1: Back up the registry
To back up the registry so that you can restore it if you have problems later, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Click to open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type backup of drives key, note the location where you are saving the file, and then click Save.

Note If you have problems later, you can restore this registry subkey by double-clicking the backup of drives key.reg file that you saved.
Step 2: Edit the drive type value of the volume folder
To edit the drive type so that Windows recognizes the drive as recordable, follow these steps:
In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, click the Volume{GUID} folder under Drives, where GUID is a 32-character identifier.

Note If your computer has more than one CD drive, an additional Volume{GUID} folder is listed for each drive.
In the right side of the Registry Editor window, double-click Drive Type.
In the Value data box, type 1 if the drive is a CD-R drive or 2 if it is a CD-RW drive.
Click OK, and then close Registry Editor.
Step 3: Verify that Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device
To see whether Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device now, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, and then click Properties.
If the Recording tab is displayed, Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device.
Click Cancel.
If Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device, you should be able to burn data to a CD now. If you still have problems, follow the steps in the "Troubleshooting" section.

If your computer has more than one CD or DVD drive and the Recording tab is not displayed in the Properties dialog box (see step 3 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section), a drive may be configured incorrectly as "recordable" in the Windows registry. To resolve this problem, try changing the drive type of the drive you previously identified as a 1 or 2 to a type 3. Then change the drive type of the other drive to a 1 or 2. To try this, follow these steps:
Follow step 2 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section to edit the Drive Type value of the Volume{GUID} folder whose value that you previously changed.
In the Value data box, type 3, and then click OK.

The drive type value of 3 indicates that the drive is a standard CD-ROM and is not a recordable drive.
In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, click the next Volume{GUID} folder.
Follow step 2 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section to change the Value data entry to 1 or 2, depending on the drive type.
Follow step 3 in the "Edit the Windows registry" section to confirm that the Recording tab is displayed in the Properties dialog box of the CD drive.
If the Recording tab is now displayed in the Properties dialog box, you should be able to burn data to a CD. If you still have problems, see the "Next steps" section.

For more information about the filter drivers that may be loaded in Windows Vista, run the DevCon program. To do this, follow these steps:
Obtain and extract the DevCon program. For more information about how to obtain this program and about how to use this program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
311272 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/ ) The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager
Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

Collapse this imageExpand this imageIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.
Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.
Then, information that resembles the following appears:
IDE\CDROM<name>_____CDRW121032______1.08\5&60546BC&0&0.0.0
Name: <name> CDRW121032
Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM
Upper filters:
<driver name>
Controlling service:
cdrom
Lower filters:
<driver name>
1 matching device(s) found.

(UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ERRORS)

This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

∑ The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows.

∑ You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.

∑ You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. (In Windows Vista and Windows 7) Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
(In Windows 95, 98, ME or XP. Click Start, then RUN and type regedit into this field box.)

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, follow the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Hope this information helps you in some way.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 caramelgrl

caramelgrl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

had to erase everything. Fine, I did that and installed everything from the Driver discs that came with my PC.

Was one of those disks a Roxio Easy CD Creator? That program would have come preinstalled with the CD burner-equipped Gateway from that 'era' and you would also have received an install CD for it.

Note that your computer would not need any CD drive "drivers", whatever base drivers Windows configures should 'just work'; the third party software (above) is just for easier data CD burning (WinXP's internal CD burning function sucks!) and (optionally) packet writing ("format" a CD for use similarly to a floppy disk).

Edited by caramelgrl, 30 August 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Optical drives don't need any extra drivers.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users