Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Font Sizes In Excel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:46 PM

Hello!!

Does anyone know how, or if you can, change the font size of your items to choose from in a dropdown box you create? I am only able to change it if I change the % of the total page size and then everything else is way too big.

Thanks,

diego88

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:05 PM

As I recall, when you click on the dropdown for the font size, the current box will be highlighted - if so, just type in the new number.

I've even used it with 1 decimal place (for example 11.5) in Excel 2000 and might have done it in Excel 2002.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

Thanks usasma!

That's not it though. I did not clarify my question enough. I am just learning about these drop downs. I am not using the Active X ones, such as a Control Box. I am using Data Validation with a list I made. For some reason, the selected font is ok and can be selected, it's just the list in the pop up that can be so tiny..and I see no way to change this other than zooming in (blowing up) the entire page.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:36 PM

You made the list using Data; Validation from the menu?
That's what I just did and can't replicate your results.

Method 1- common one, the list is in a range of cells, and I made sure some items were short, some very long, and even set the font to the smallest I could find.

Method 2 - as above, but before using the range on the validation dialog, I made the cells, where the list is, unreadable by 'Shrink to fit' setting under the theory it might carry over

Method 3 - I typed a list with items of widely varying lenghts into the dialog's prompt for list cell range address.

In all instances, in use, the dropdown items' font is the same size as the other cells.

The whole thing is a bit strange, because Data validation is one of the most primitive of Excel's options, i.e. no way to customize! Perhaps you discovered a feature? :thumbsup:

I use XP and Excel from Office 2003, previous Excels back to 97, where I think validation came into being, were the same as far as I recall.

#5 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:10 AM

Thanks tos226.

I am using a form someone else created and I guess then it is strange and perhaps, well obviously, there is something more going on here. I actually did not know about data validation or how to use it until I inquired about the sizes. Now I have learned how and yes I agree with your findings. I get the same results when I make my own new sheet????

I will need to investigate further.

Again thanks,

diego88 :thumbsup:

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

I am using a form someone else created...

My interpretation of FORM is either a dialog worksheet containing form/dialog controls (was that in excel5?) or a real form made in VBA editor (exel 97+). If the former, I don'tremember a thing. If VBA - enable VBA on the toolbars menu, open modules or forms and search for your list and then for ".font" nearby, or search through everything for ".font" without the quotes.

If it is a real FORM, it's likely to be inside List Boxes or ComboBoxes, but depending on how it was built, it might not. Still, you just might find a place where the .font property is with that validation list. Such controls may have properties where .font resides, so click on the properties button. It might not be in code.

DISCLAIMER: This is a wild goose chase, but I'm trying to help. I do not recall actually ever setting the .font property on lists, as I usually hold them in cells addressed by VBA and don't mess with font. Good luck :thumbsup:

#7 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Thanks I will investigate this!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users