Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting frustrated here

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gridleak

gridleak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

Not sure if I should just be frustrated or if I should be concerned as well.

In the last few months, my dial up internet connection will hang up on me for no reason. There is no pattern to when it will do it either. Sometimes it will let me go on indefinitely, or sometimes I can only go as far as being logged on. As well, on some occassions, I cannot connect at all. I will get "Error 619, or 718 or 721" in no particular order. I have made as many as 17 attempts to connect in one try a month ago.

What is also peaking my curiosity is that, on some occassions, when it hangs up on me and the dial up window appears with my user name and password. The dots that represent the characters on my password are about 3 times as many dots as my actual password should be. This one has me concerned! :thumbsup:

To make matters even more strange. It worked like this with my Win98SE. I now have WinXP Pro on a new hard drive and it's no different. As well, when I connect to the dial up connection using my boss's ISP, I do not have this problem. I did a few times with the Win98 system, but not enough to matter.

The techie guy at my ISP had me try changing the modem settings, which helped very little and also slowed my connection speed to a point where I will put up with the possible disconnection rather than the slow speed.

Any guidance would be appreciated here...........Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:20 PM

The ISP tech people like to put the blame right onto the MODEM ( I was One) no, not a MODEM ,an ISP tech person. Way back when the "strings" on the MODEM always needed adjust--such is no longer the case. Way back when, AOL had a propensity for dumping you off--because they only had so much bandwidth and kept outgrowing it. I now use Earthlink--it used to be after a period of no activity they would dump you--it was BIG secret as to how long etc. They didn't want that info to get out. However now is not the case-I left myself connected all night long recently--didnt know it until next day when I tried to call out. The best thing you could do right now is uninstall/reinstall if you have the ISP cd. If you are using WIN 98 or 95 there is a manual method of setting up your Dial Up Networking that will bypass the standard software that connects you. With Earthlink they call it "the walk-through method". If you are using Earthlink or AOL and WIN 98--the tech should have walked you thru it instead of the "Modem BS". Another fix would be for you to just switch ISP--I have a WALMART ISP connect CD--they have a node( tn# here where I live) $9.95 per month--I haven't used it yet--I might--If you go to Wal-Mart (doesnt everydody?)--get one from the Elec Section.

AnyHow--Good luck--Hang in there!!! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#3 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:33 PM

I'M back--One more thing, if the program exixts with both WIN 98 and XP you could possibilly be having problems with the phone line from your modem out to the outside--Just because you are able to speak over the line does not make it necessarilly OK for DATA--just a few dropped data bits can cause a disconnect and some of the errors that you are getting. There is a way to check this out-if your ISp or Tel Co would help?--I would first replace all the lines out I could and don't wrap them or twist them unnecssarily-also you might try to change the location of your computer to a different room/with different lines out if possible.

IF you are using your Boss's ISP from your SAME physical location as you are dialing up your own ISP and you are having trouble with your ISP, but not his--then the problem is your ISP or the settings/software they provided you--If its the same computer in the same location-(house)--then its not the Tel lines (above) or the MODEM for sure. If it were bad password--you would not get on at all! You didn't say how long you had used the present config sucessfully. If just started its either at the ISP (or Tel SYS between) or your software has gotten corrupted. Corrupted Software-uninstall/reinstall. Bad ISP connect-try an alternate TEL #if you have one. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

And , I guess there Walmarts in Canada? :inlove:

Edited by EdBee, 09 October 2004 - 08:45 PM.

EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:32 PM

Gridleak - are you refering to a method of biasing a vacuum tube or is this some other reference. Anyway....

Sounds like you may have a phoneline problem of some sort.

Pick up a phone that is connect to the same line and dial a digit to quiet the line. Listen carefully for any hum, noise, crackling, ect. If the line is noisy, you can try to get the telco to fix it.

Another thing to try is to remove ALL other devices connect to the line the modem is on. See if that improves things any. Occasionally, a locally connected device will cause noise spikes on the line.

Finally, some modems are more sensitive to line conditions than others. A different modem may be a better match to your particular line conditions.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 gridleak

gridleak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:01 AM

Hi folks...........

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll add comments to your suggestions now.

1. We did have a problem with a noisy phone line. Line was bad and replaced from the box in the house to the main line on the power pole. We were also placed on a new card in the switching station about 2 miles from here. Problem still there.

2. Working part time in a computer shop has its benefits. I tried 2 other modems. Problem still there.

3. I have a box of phone line here at home. I made a new line and ran it directly from the modem to the main box where it comes into the house. Problem still there.

4. No software CD was required to create my connection. It's all done automatically. The only requirement was to create the dial up connection on my system. I have made 2 of them. Each one has a different phone number to contact my ISP. I have removed both of them and created new connections. Problem still there.

5. Have already tried unplugging all phones from jacks when connectiong to the net. Problem still there.

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible :trumpet: ) if the problem was in my phone lines, I would have the disconnect problem with both providers. I only am having an issue with one. Though, I will have the odd one with the 2nd provider. By the odd one I mean maybe 1 or 2 per month.

My current provider has suggested I bring my system down to their office and try it there. If we have the same problem, that eliminates the phone lines for sure. :flowers: They are an independant service and I like them. The only reason I would leave them at the moment would be if high speed came to our area of the sticks where I live. It's real nice to call and get only one of 4 people answer the phone and know you on a first name basis. Besides I would miss the unlimited hours and 10 MB of free web space for my $19.95 per month. :inlove:

And finally, to ddeerrff, you're right on with my name gridleak. One of my other pastimes along with ham radio, is collecting vacuum tubes and learning to restore old tube radios. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users