Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 3000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 plumm

plumm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:
I got this old relic Dell Dimension 3000 here that I think may have been fried by lightning. Before I got a new power supply for it, nothing happened when I pushed power. Now with a new power supply it behaves the same, but I did notice now there is a green light on the motherboard, located just to the left of the front panel connection. That is pretty well it though. No fans spin at all, no drive activity, no other lights.
I dont really have any other way of testing hardware besides replacing it, but I am thinking it is all dead. Anyone have any other ideas to try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hello and welcome to Blepingcomputer.

You mentioned lightening as a cause for your computer not working.

Are you sure your computer encountered this possibility?

Did your house or its surroundings suffer from a known direct lightening strike?

Did you plug both the 4 pin 12v ATX and the 20/24 pin ATX power plugs into the motherboard that comes from the PSU?

Did you recheck the power on switch on the computer's front panel for any problems?

Here is your Dell Dimension 3000 support page. http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index....ID=DIM_CEL_3000

Here is an on-line service manual, you can use this to trouble-shoot your computer. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/SM/index.htm

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 plumm

plumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Well I am actually working on the computer for someone. But she said when it quit working was during a storm we had, and lightning also hit a few other things on the same outlet. So yea, was a definite storm that I specifically remember myself.

Yup, both power connections are plugged in.

I took the front off the case and made sure the switch was physically working and it was connected to the board.

Thanks for the fast response, I will review the links you gave. Maybe I am missing something...

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

You can also use the diagnostic lights on the back of the computer case, there are 4 of them usually labeled A B C D, there is a section of the service manual page that decodes the light codes.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 plumm

plumm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

No lights on the back so ABCD lights wont function :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users