Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart not restarting...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThreeDogNet

ThreeDogNet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

This one has us boggled...

I have a customers HP dv6748us laptop:

-AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 / 2.0 GHz
-250gb WD SATA HD
-2gb DDR PC2-5300 (2 x 1gb)
-Vista Home Premium 32-bit

customer complained of possible infections and random shutdowns. We booted it up fine, started Malwarebytes and it shut off mid scan, like you pulled the battery out kinda off. It did this on battery alone, battery + AC, and AC with the battery out. Also, once it shut off, it refused to turn back on unless we wait 5 min or so. Appeared to us to be a overheating/fan speed issue, so first thing we did was blow out the vents/fans (must have had a cat sleeping on the darn thing!) and took the laptop apart to look for any visible damage or cat hair encased fan, but everything looked up and up. Updated the BIOS, no change. Ran memtest, came up good. Ran hard drive test, came up with bad sectors. Took the drive out and scanned it with WD Data Lifeguard Tools, came up good. We slapped in a new hard drive, and proceeded to install Vista.

Vista went through installation ok until it needed to restart. It shut down, acted like it was going to start back up and then *poof*...off. Wait 5 minutes, turn it on, back to the installation like normal. On a hunch we put a new cmos battery in (we've seen that cause quirkiness in the past) and noticed one of the memory chips was really, really hot. So we removed the hot stick and left it running with 1gb...and the thing booted up just as fast. I installed drivers and updates with no random shut downs, but upon a required restart, again, it shut down and failed to re-boot itself. In desperation, I switched the remaining stick of RAM out for a new stick we had in stock, no change.

New hard drive, new OS, new BIOS, new cmos battery, new RAM, clean 'innards'....runs fantastic when it's on, doesn't seem to know how to restart, just shut down and wait 5 min.

If this were my laptop, I could obviously live with that quirk, but something is definitely amiss here, and I can't rightly charge a customer if it isn't perfect.

I'm Googled out and my drywall can't take much more banging of heads here.

Anyone have a clue, and can help us out?

Thanks, Lucas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The thing that stands out in my mind is where you said the RAM module was very hot.

Have you by chance examined the slot for any signs of blue metal on the RAM slot contacts?

There may be a voltage regulator that has gone bad, you may want to check the motherboard over for this possibility.

Are there any electrolytic capacitors that are showing signs of leaking or bulging?

Have you tired entering the BIOS setup utility and checked over the settings for the RAM?

Maybe try loading system defaults and see if the laptop boots successfully.

I am seriously leaning toward either a faulty voltage regulator, or a bad capacitor on the motherboard somewhere.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users