Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete,rename folders. File path too long.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 fortune7

fortune7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

A few months ago my wife bought an external hard rive for her PC to store her vast array of music. thinking it would be the easiest way, she dragged and dropped her library onto the external hardrive and apparently that is no where near the correct procedures to move an Itunes library b/c of pathways and the way Itunes is set up. After this occurred she attempted to fix it herself and somehow someway ended creating about 20 tiered subfolders labeled music in her PICTURES folder, with the original itunes library at the bottom. Fastforward to me trying to fix this, and I get the same error every time I try to move,delete,or rename the itunes folder "destination folder pathway is too long, cannot move/delete". I looked online and found the "purgeie" program and from what I understand from reading the instructions/limitations it can't help me. I thought checking in with you guys would be the first step b/f I seek professional help. Thanks, let me know what you need to start assessing this highly annoying problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I seen a few programs out there that seem to claim to do the dirty work of deteting files or folders with long file names or file paths.

Those programs for the most part are either trials that don't work unless you pay for the program and then whose to say they will work.

Of course the recommended procedure would be to try and delete the file by its short name, which is how it is often viewed from MS-DOS.

It can also be viewed by booting to any boot disk and going to the root directory of C: and following the paths by typing cd or the dir command.

The del command is for deleting a file of folder.

For example if you can get to the root directory of C: and type dir it will give you a list of files and folder on drive C:

Here is an example of deleting the windows folder from drive C: (please do not do this, this is only an example)

del C:\ Windows

Some folders have longer file names and will be shortend to 8 charicters.

Here are some useful MS-DOS commands.

*.* =Wildcard
del =delete
cd =change directory
attrib *.* -r -h -s =makes most read only, hidden or system files deletable.
md or mkdir =makes a new directory
dir or dir /p = lists what is in a directory the /p pauses once the screen is full and allows slower manual scrolling of larger directories.
copy =allows copying of named file/folder to another location.
rmdir or rd =remove directory (example rmdir C: Windows) If this command was used, it would remove the folder called windows.
rename or ren =rename file or folder (example rename C: Windows windowsold) this would rename the windows folder windowsold.

Please read this information.

http://winhlp.com/node/39

If you really need to find a dos boot disk, you could use an old windows 95,98 or windows ME boot disk.
But those are also easy to find on the web.

I wish you luck.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 August 2010 - 12:16 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 KiKiDiKi

KiKiDiKi

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hope I'm not stepping on toes here, but I've always been able to take care of this type of problem by cutting the problem folder/file and pasting it right in C: then deleting said folder/file. This usually makes the file path short enough to delete it :)
http://thereconcilecenter.proboards.com/index.cgi

Meow :) Go There it's cool. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

This will surely rid you of your unwanted files I havent run across anything it cant delete.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Remove-with-Batch-Download-184691.html

#5 rebeccazoly

rebeccazoly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

for this problem of long path. Use Long Path tool. It ll solve your problem.

i have tried it and its the best one.

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Topic closed to prevent spam efforts in the future.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users