Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crazewolf

Crazewolf

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

I am on a limited income so I have to make do with some pretty old equipment. I've been having memory problems and wanted to change out the memory sticks that I have with some a friend gave me. It's for a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard. Running XP SP3. Have MR16R 1628EGO-CM8 RDRam Pc-800 RIMM non-ECC in there now. Was given MR18R 082GAN1-CKB PC-800 RIMM ECC. So major difference is ECC & NON-ECC. Motherboard manual says motherboard supports optional ECC but not sure what I have to do to get memory sticks to work. I assume changes have to be made in BIOS but manual doesn't give any explanation of what has to be changed. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Crazewolf,

ECC and NON ECC RAM is supported on your board but you do not need to change anything in the BIOS, it should detect it automatically. If you have replaced the memory and the system won't boot you will want to verify you have at least two RIMMs inserted or you will need C-RIMM (Continuity RIMM) modules inserted into the empty slots. Also it looks like your board will support up to 2GB total memory (PC800 and PC1066 is supported).

Let me know if this helps or not, if not give me more of an idea what the system is or is not doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users