Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only starts after memory diagnostic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stepstoolmm

stepstoolmm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to determine what exactly is wrong with my laptop. If I restart it, Windows fails to boot with the error "Page file in non-paged area". After several days of Googling, the myriad of problems and fixes don't seem to work for me. I have figured out one thing, however, and it seems to be unique to me as I couldn't find anyone else reporting it. If I run a startup memory diagnostic during startup, Windows boots without issue. It works every time, too.

This problem started out of the blue, no new hardware or software installations. It is a ThinkPad running Vista, and two years old to the month. I've never had another hardware problem with it. Both Kaspersky and Malwarebytes read clean.

Does this indicate my RAM is/is going bad? If so, would it just be one stick, or should I replace both?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Have you tried opening the compartment where your RAM is located, removing it, then re-seating it in the slot again?

Here is a link to windows stop errors http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

Please scroll down to "Page file in non-paged area" for an explanation.

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems.

If re-seating your memory does not resolve this issue, you may have a defective RAM module.

Running memtest with at least 7 passes may find the module at fault, if you have more than one RAM module, try testing each one individually.

Memtest86 4.00 http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users