If you have information about a new Windows startup entry please create a new topic in this forum and follow this format when submitting them:Filename: Registry Value Name:Command:File Location:Description:Status:
The status should can have five different values:?
- Unsure as to whether it needs to run or not, but not malware.N
- Not necessary to run as it can be started as needed.U
- Its up to the user. Its not necessary to run for the computer to work, but may be important enough to have running for some users.Y
- Yes, this program is necessary to run in order for the computer or a program to operate correctly.X
- This is considered malware or undesirable to have on the machine as it can cause problems.
To find this information I will give an example using Hijackthis
This is an example of submitting info about a startup entry from a line in a HijackThis log. The particular entry corresponds to a program that is part of the AVG antivirus software.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\Grisoft\AVGFREE\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
You would submit the following:Filename:
avgcc.exeRegistry Value Name:
AVG7_CC [This is the name between the brackets ()]Command:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\Grisoft\AVGFREE\avgcc.exe /STARTUP [Text after the value name]File Location:
c:\program files\grisoft\avg free\Description:
Whatever you know about it or can glean from autoruns.Status:
One of the status flags from above.
When submitting new entries, please make sure the entry does not already exist in the startup database in order to save us all time.