Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Client Protection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyLee

PeggyLee

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

I have a Dell GX 650 (I think) with Windows XP Pro SP 3. I had a virus or malware or something the other day and I have successfully gotten rid of it (I hope). I ran a scan, deleted restore points, then re-enabled, went to Microsoft web site to run scan and download the Malicious software and Essentials. I also checked to make sure firewall was turned on and automatic updates. I was also going to download Defender. When it was finished and was going to run, it said I had "client protection" and would have to turn it off. What is that and how do I turn it off. It is important to have this?

Also I was going to download Ad-Aware, but it was going to take 12 hours! We have a USB760 modem from Verizon and only get 2 bars most of the time. I am going to try to download it here at work onto a CD and take it home.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2010 - 08:56 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Antivirus, Firewall & Privacy Products ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

As I understand it...Windows Defender may display this message when the user has Microsoft Security Essentials installed (which has an antispyware function).

IMO, a better alternative to using Windows Defender would be installing SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. SAS has daily updates and is generally consdiered to be one of the more efficient alternatives for minor malware items, while Malwarebytes is considered to be very effective against various malware items. There is no one program that protects the system against everything, hence the suggestion to use the two programs suggested, along with your installed AV program and a firewall.

I'm certainly no expert of any sort...just a user who has tried many of the products which users will believe to be effective.

Ad-Aware has long been considered to be inferior to the programs I have suggested.

Malwarebytes.org - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

SUPERAntiSpyware - http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html. Be sure click the button for the free download, not the other.

As with any program, please read all instructions for using...before installing.

Louis

#3 PeggyLee

PeggyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

Thank you for the links and info. I will try this weekend. Maybe they won't want to take 12 hours!

Peggy

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials

Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender if installed since MSE also provides protects against spyware.

I agree with hamluis about using an alternative.

Edited by quietman7, 27 August 2010 - 10:05 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users