Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade processor in laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lofty1956

lofty1956

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hi all and greetings from the land down under (Oz.) - this is my first post so I hope I can make sense of what I am trying to do, which is - my Asus A3 series laptop presently uses an Intel Pentium M735 1.7GHz. processor - I am looking at replacing it with a view to getting a bit more speed out of it - I have used Intel's comparison page to compare the 735 with the M755, M765 and the M770 (the latter appears to be the most reasonable available in US on i'net and I cannot source anything in Australia) and all the specs. appear to be the same except the FSB on the 770 (400 VS. 533) and what appears to me to be very small variations in voltage range. What I am endeavouring to find out is can I use the 770 and if so, what changes are required to accomodate the higher FSB - do I need to change the bios (a worry for me - never been there!!) and is there a need to change RAM - I recently upgraded from 512 MB to 2Gig. of DDR 333 (PNY brand).

I have spent hours reading all sorts of stuff about clock speeds, multipliers et. etc. but cannot get my 73 year old head around it so would be eternally grateful for any assistance anyone can offer.

Cheers

lofty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I looked up your Asus A3 series notebook but was not sure which model you have.

Can you please post back the whole model number so I can check the specs on your laptop.

I seen a A3000 series on the Asus web site but wasn't sure if that matches your hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 lofty1956

lofty1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

G'day Bruce - thx for the welcome. A manufacturers sticker that came on the laptop says it's an A3800G. I have run the "speccy" program so can give you any of the info that provided if it will help.

Lofty

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

Okay I am not sure why I can not find anything on this model at the Asus web site, at least not under the number A3800G

Your laptop may have an Asus motherboard, but it was built into another vendor's laptop model.

I do see google hits coming back regarding web sites to purchase this device, but there is a lack of support related hits.

Is there a Asus support web site in Australia that you could link to me?

I tried the global Asus links and still nothing with this A3800G model number came up when I tried the Asus web site search bar.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 August 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 lofty1956

lofty1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Okay I am not sure why I can not find anything on this model at the Asus web site, at least not under the number A3800G

Your laptop may have an Asus motherboard, but it was built into another vendor's laptop model.

I do see google hits coming back regarding web sites to purchase this device, but there is a lack of support related hits.

Is there a Asus support web site in Australia that you could link to me?

I tried the global Asus links and still nothing with this A3800G model number came up when I tried the Asus web site search bar.

Bruce.

I believe (but don't know where it came from) that the motherboard is an Asus A3G and this machine is definitely an Asus product.
The "A3800G" designation is on a sticker that was on the keybaord surface when I purchased the laptop (see attachment) - on the underside there is another label with the designation "A3000".

The Australian Asus website automatically defaults to the global site (http://support.asus.com/)when I attempt to access support.

Lofty

#6 lofty1956

lofty1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

Attached File  laptop0003.JPG   226.03KB   1 downloadsSorry - missed attachment in last post - I hope it's here now.

Lofty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users