Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Shut Down Unexpectedly, Now Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MamaRamona

MamaRamona

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Last night, my HP Pavilion dv2600 laptop shut down unexpectedly, while plugged in. I don't believe that it was from overheating. I cannot now get it to boot. When I press the on button (with the power cord attached), the computer acts as though is it starting normally, but only for about 2 seconds, then goes dead, except for a blinking blue light in front of the lightning bolt symbol on the front of the laptop. This blue light continually flashes, but nothing else. Where the power supply attaches to the computer, there is also a ring of blue light.

Could it be that some power is getting to the machine, but not enough to boot it up? In recent times, whenever I booted my computer, it almost always went to startup repair, which never worked. I often had to go to last known good configuration in order to boot. I don't know if that has anything to do with my current problem, but figured I'd mention it.

Should I buy another power cord and try that, or is there something else I should try first? Thanks for any suggestions.

~MR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here's the support page for your laptop, http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?lang...7&h_lang=en

I noticed your laptop had an alert for your laptop battery. http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/hbpr/

Read this regarding the symptoms you described above. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3650965 This is your quote from above. "This blue light continually flashes, but nothing else. Where the power supply attaches to the computer, there is also a ring of blue light."

Here is the code you are getting and the possible error:

Continuous blinking LED
Location of blinking LEDS=AC power adapter
Componet being checked=Power adapter
Error condition=Insufficient power.

If this is the case, your power adapter needs to be replaced.

Hopefully this will resolve your problem.

If not please post back and let us know.

The support pages above have different trouble shooting procedures listed under different categories.

Bruce.

Edit: corrected url to correct laptop model number

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 September 2010 - 12:15 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MamaRamona

MamaRamona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

Thank you Bruce for your response. I bought a new AC adapter this week, and unfortunately that did nothing to solve my problem. The computer still won't start , still does the same thing ... blue lights come on, the fan starts up, the HP logo comes on the screen, and then everything shuts down.

I apologize but I wrote the wrong model number above, although I don't think it makes much of a difference. I followed the links you posted to get to the support page for my laptop, which is actually the HP Pavilion dv6700, and it says much the same in terms of it likely being a power supply problem. Now that replacing the AC adapter didn't make a difference, do you have any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Thanks so much.

Edited to add: Upon Googling this problem, I am reading that this is a common problem in the HP Pavilion DV series. It seems to be a motherboard problem that is happening a lot to owners fairly soon after warranty expiration. I have had this computer for 2 years exactly. I guess I now have an expensive paperweight on my hands!!?!

Edited by MamaRamona, 04 September 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

I would then have to add this link to what would be your present laptop model.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?lang...7&h_lang=en

I will correct my origional post above to this corrected link.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

This is your download page, please noteice this is set for windows XP, if your OS is Vista, please change it to Vista in the drop down menu.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3650965

What exactly did you see in the support pages that you fell your motherboard is a paper weight?

Bruce.

#6 MamaRamona

MamaRamona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

hi Bruce,

it wasn't anything that I read in the support pages that made me think this, but from what I came across in researching the specific problem a bit further, in relation to this model. It sounds like a motherboard problem that HP charges $400 to fix, and likely it would happen again. The following two links are full of reports of the same thing having happened to people....

HP link 1

HP link 2

I tried a hard reset, as suggested on the links you posted, but that didn't do anything. Also, I should probably mention that my disc drive had stopped working a few months back, neither burning or reading discs at all.

If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. If it is a motherboard issue, do you think that the data on the hard drive would still be in tact? (fingers crossed) I am thinking that I might have to look into a Mac next time around!!!!!!

Thanks again.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

I read the posts made at the two links you posted above.

It is sad to read all those posts.

I am just curious what HP did do to fix the problem and why it didn't seem to be a permanent fix.

As much as I have a lot of back-ground in the electronics repair field, I would need data sheets and white papers related to this specific product.

However even if I had that information handy, I would not be able to instruct you on how to obtain the parts and perform the repair.

Bruce.

#8 MamaRamona

MamaRamona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

No worries, Bruce. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It is a shame that the problem I am experiencing seems to have happened to so many others. I definitely hoped that I would've gotten more than 2 years out of a new laptop.

Thanks again for your help.

~MR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users