Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kcolfer

kcolfer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

Help please. I have been trying to fix this slow computer for about a year now. XP Home SP3. Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 32% free space on 120 GHz HD. Every single program is slow. Been through the "Slow Computer, try this" forum extensively. Tweaked everything I can tweak, as advised on BP. No luck. Ridiculously slow. Painfully slow. Will someone please volunteer to look at a HJT or some other log and see if they can find anything there that might be slowing me down. I'm about to go to the dark side and by a MAC! I don't wanna spend more money and take a week of down time to get a new system up and running. Any help is tremendously appreciated!

Thanks,
Kelly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

<<I have been trying to fix this slow computer for about a year now.>>

If you have had the same issues with a system for so prolonged a period and have truly gone through the suggestions listed in our slow computer topic...I can only suggest one thing...a clean install.

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

The only item which I can think of which may also cause a system to perform poorly...would be a reversion of the DMA settings to PIO mode.

To check the settings, Start/Run... type devmgmt.msc, and then hit Enter. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Right-click the controllers for Primary IDE Channel and then click Properties. Click the Advanced Settings tab. Transfer Mode should read "DMA if available", while Current Transfer Mode should reflect some DMA level for the hard drive. Optical drives may reflect either PIO (older drives) or DMA (more recent optical drives).

DMA reverts to PIO Windows Problem Solver - http://winhlp.com/node/10

Louis

#3 kcolfer

kcolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hamluis,

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid doing a clean install, but that's the only solution I can come up with. DMA settings, what ever that is, don't suggest PIO. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else have a suggestion that might help me to avoid a week of business downtime to do a clean install?

#4 rogersstones

rogersstones

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

Actually it is a virus problem that you need to have an protection of good and updated antivirus. You need to format your system than start again.

#5 kcolfer

kcolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

A bit of a hasty conclusion, I think, roger. But thanks for your input.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

There are a couple of ways to go here, and neither includes reinstalling the OS, at least not just yet.

The first thing to do if you believe that there is a chance that this is an infection is to open a topic in the Am I Infected forum. The staff there is very well trained, and will be able to best advise you on the proper course of action.

If they determine that the problem isn't related to a virus, then it's time to look at the operating system, and hardware. Faulty RAM can cause a computer to slow down. Damaged files can cause this as well.

If it is a RAM related problem you can download and run Memstest 86.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Another thing to look into would be the Event Viewer.

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 kcolfer

kcolfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

The first thing to do if you believe that there is a chance that this is an infection is to open a topic in the Am I Infected forum.

dc3, thanks for the suggestion. I will try the Am I Infected forum first, then get back here if I need to go further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users