Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Dell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Boxers

Boxers

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

I purchased, several months ago, a out of warranty Dell Optiplex620 from my employeer when we upgraded our cad station. They made a clean install of Windows XP, but it only has a 60gb hard drive (it was on a network). The system works great with no issues. I want to clone the hard drive on to a larger hard drive but I aso want to get the syatem back to factory or clean condition before I do this. I have the following questions.

1. Is there a way to check to insure that the "F-11" return to factory works prior to giving it a shot?
2. They did supply me with a "Rstore Disc" but could not gaurantee it went with machine but said it should work. ???
3. Is there a partion on the harddrive that I can access to restore the windows?

OR any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Boxers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Well...what value is a "restore CD" that won't restore the system?

I would have tried it long ago, if I owned a system that uses such.

Dell systems often have built-in mechanisms for invoking the restore function they use...but I think that then calls for the insertion of the "restore CD' that goes with that system.

But...if you have a set of CDs that doesn't match up with the system...I think now might be the time to find out.

You could also contact Dell about obtaining the correct CDs that might be required.

I would check the Dell website for any/all information I could find (manuals, documentation) that pertains to that system, that would help define/refine possible alternatives.

Louis

#3 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

AAA....I tried contacting Dell with no results except "Why did you buys used. Dell offers a wide variety of machines and finance plans". Made remember why I never buy dell. I also was under the impression that Dell could be an asset. Now I know for sure I will stay with Toshiba Lap Top and HP desk unit.

Since I work for company that recently had a "Black Friday" in our IT group. I am amazed that they found any disc. (All machine are processed through our corp IT nad only machine and power cord sent to plants.)

Thanks for the help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:15 AM

There are also commercial websites purporting to have "recovery disks" for various computers. You might try Googling "recovery/restore disks for Dell Optiplex 620 and see what turns up.

Louis

#5 Boxers

Boxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

I will do that.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic