Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly freezes. I'm stumped.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moundtown

moundtown

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Computer randomly locks up. Sometimes while booting and other times for no apparent reason. I have tried everything I can think of but cannot solve this problem.

Dell Dimension 2400
1GB Ram
80 GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home

Although the RAM tested good it has been replaced. The hard drive has been replaced. The power supply has been replaced. There are no overheating issues. I have disconnected all drives but the hard drive and that didn't help.

What else could it be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

motherboard :thumbsup:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see where you have just about all the bases covered.

Let me offer you a few pieces of advice that will hopefully resolve your issue.

When you boot up your computer, try entering the BIOS set up utility, look for the option to load system defaults. Select that option and save.

Make sure you have Plug and play OS installed selected as yes in your BIOS.

Try booting up the computer.

Check your motherboard for bad caps. Check the links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://pc-medic.blogspot.com/2006/10/leaking-capacitors.html

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

Let us know if you see any suspicious caps on your motherboard.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 August 2010 - 10:06 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 moundtown

moundtown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see where you have just about all the bases covered.

Let me offer you a few pieces of advice that will hopefully resolve your issue.

When you boot up your computer, try entering the BIOS set up utility, look for the option to load system defaults. Select that option and save.

Make sure you have Plug and play OS installed selected as yes in your BIOS.

Try booting up the computer.

Check your motherboard for bad caps. Check the links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://pc-medic.blogspot.com/2006/10/leaking-capacitors.html

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

Let us know if you see any suspicious caps on your motherboard.

Bruce.

Thanks for your response.

There is no option in the BIOS setup to load system defaults. Nor is there Plug and Play listed anywhere. Actually there are a very limited number of settings.

Two capacitors, while not bulging, show a small amount of a brown substance on top.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for your response.

There is no option in the BIOS setup to load system defaults. Nor is there Plug and Play listed anywhere. Actually there are a very limited number of settings.

Two capacitors, while not bulging, show a small amount of a brown substance on top.

You are welcome for my time.

Usually the Dell Bios has then option for system defaults, it is usually listed at the bottom of the list of options.

Those two caps you speak of, are most likely leaking, those will eventually cause problems to the circuits they are associated with over time, if not already.

Re-caping a motherboard takes a little bit of skill, you have to replace those caps with ones with the same rating in microfarads and voltage ratings.

You would need to have good soldering skills before attempting this, the procedure should be performed with a grounded 15 watt soldering pencil and fine solder.

Some circuits are double sided to the motherboard, if the capacitor is soldered to a circuit on both sides of the board, you would have to make sure the cap is soldered to both sides.

If you are not familure with soldering, I suggest you have it done by a repair shop.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users