Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hello all,
My fiancÚ's PC has recently developed a new issue. Roughly a week and a half ago (I used basic troubleshooting and couldn't solve it so I put aside for 'later') she booted her laptop up and all she could see was a black screen. When it's booting up you see the Dell screen fine and once it logs on a pop-up to update Advanced System Care appears (been lazy and haven't updated) but nothing else will show. I can press ctrl+alt+del and see that screen normally though it's slightly stretched. I attempted the Prevx fix (http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html) but it did no good. When I attempt to boot it up in Safe Mode I get an error stating "Windows Explorer has stopped working". I am out of ideas and a Google and BC search has yielded me no results :huh:
This PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

First, update ASC.

#3 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

Not sure what that means but a quick BC search makes it look like my anti-spyware? But how can I update this if I see anything? I can't launch Safemode with Networking so that's out the window.

#4 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

ASC=Advanced System Care. You said you can get to it but you havn't bothered to update it. Please update it and then reboot. Also, try repairing your os through the cd/DVD that came with your computer.

#5 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Aye, guess I didn't think that one through very well. I doubt this is the issue as ASC does not run in the background, it has to be launched. This laptop is over six years old and unfortunately I don't have any boot discs for it and Dell does not either (called them when I had issues a couple years ago).
But I will give it a try and report back.

Edited by scubab, 28 August 2010 - 09:13 AM.

#6 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

Okay cool. Also you don't need a boot disk from Dell, you just need any windows 7 boot disk. Also, what are the specifications for this computer? I doubt a six year old laptop should be running windows 7.

#7 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

My father installed it for me while I was away at Boot Camp some months ago. I wondered the same thing about the compatibility but it was suggested from his friend who makes a living off of fixing computers (though that doesn't mean he can't be completely wrong lol). It has been working flawlessly for roughly a year so I'm assuming it isn't a compatibility issue. I will see if his friend can locate the disc if an update to ASC works.

#8 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

Okay. Again my last question, what are your system specs? Like ram, processor, win7 edition?

#9 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

It's been a long time since I've checked these. Once ASC is done running I will dxdiag and see if it will display this for me. I can pull the RAM out and look and I know it's Windows 7 Ultimate but I can't remember what the processor is.

#10 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

I couldn't display a dxdiag but researching the service tag it says the processor is:
Processor, 80536, Pentium M Dothan, Pentium M Dothan, 1.6GHZ, 2 MEGB, 533FSB. I'm not too familiar with CPUs so I can't really decipher that too well, sorry.
Dell Inspiron 1600 model PP12L.
As for RAM I believe I put 4G of DDR2 in it.

Edited by scubab, 28 August 2010 - 10:27 AM.

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

You say it is a dell what model is for example a studio xps 7100 the information will be on the tower with the service tag no on a little plaque of some kind all dells have this.

The problem started a week and half ago was anything new installed or have any configuration settings been changed just prior to problem occuring?

Did the dell work ok before that no problems such as black screen or bsod's or any kind of errors being thrown up?

Edited by Darth sidious, 28 August 2010 - 10:52 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#12 scubab

scubab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

First of all I said PC but should have specified it's a laptop, I thought I posted that but I guess not. I started the series and model above. I'm away from a computer at the moment and only have my iPhone to post. I will double check the model when I am at a computer again. As far as I know she wasn't downloading anything. No other installs or configurations to her knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users