Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JRfromNY

JRfromNY

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

With the help of this GREAT website and its moderators, I was able to rid myself of a nasty virus. However, in doing so, I no longer can access the internet.

To start, please refrence my virus post and replies:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic337668-30.html

Here is a description of my issue: When attempting to connect via wireless internet connection (Roadrunner), I get the "cannot display the webpage error" I click the "diagnose" button and get the following recommendations: (1) possible hardware/driver isssues with my network adapter (Realtek rtl8102E pci-e fast ehternet nic) (2) Protocol bindings incorrect (I checked those and all seem well with my basic knowledge) and (3) the network adapter "atheros ar5007eg wireless network adapter" is experiencing hardware/driver issues.

My laptop is showing the wireless network and two other computers and my 360 connect with no issues.

Please advise.

== BQ ==

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

First things first.. You will need to either get out your driver disk or download the driver for your NIC. Then uninstall the NIC using device manager. install the new driver then restart the computer. If that doesn't work we can go from there.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 JRfromNY

JRfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

ok, please note Iam unfamiliar with this kind of stuff so youll have to walk me through it; which of the below is the NIC? and how do I get it to uninstall? I have already tried to right click uninstall in the device manager but it didnt work.

Which is the nic?

atheros - winpkfilter miniport
realtek - winpkfilter miniport
wan miniport (IP) - winpkfilter miniport
wanminiport (IPv6) - winpkfilter miniport
Wan miniport (Network monitor) - winpkfilter miniport

== BQ ==

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

What is listed under the network adapters in the device manager? Please explain what you mean by it didn't work when you tried to use the unistall in device manager.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 JRfromNY

JRfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

When I goto Network adapters in the Device manager I see 7 different things:

atheros - netqwork adapter
atheros - winpkfilter miniport
realtek - Ethernet NIC
realtek - winpkfilter miniport
wan miniport (IP) - winpkfilter miniport
wan miniport (IPv6) - winpkfilter miniport
Wan miniport (Network monitor) - winpkfilter miniport

I was able to uninstall the Atheros and realtek 'devices" but not the "wan miniports". I then rebooted the computer and both the atheros and the realtek devices were there w/o their "miniports" but the "wan mimiports" were still there. The then attempted to connect to the internet but could not. I then attempted to use ther connection wizzard and boom it worked but I still need help please. I would like to clean up and issues related to my network connections and i would also liek to network all three computers and the 360 so we can share files wirelessly.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

WHat kind of router do you have, and what kind of Operating System's are you running?

#7 JRfromNY

JRfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

toshiba laptop w/ Vista + linksys router

Edited by JRfromNY, 31 August 2010 - 05:10 AM.

#8 perrymc

perrymc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

I just went thru the same experience with ComboFix. It cleaned up my infection but left my internet connection not working and my network places and ip address all missing along with winpkfilter miniport being attached to some of my network adapters in Device Manager. 'netsh winsock reset' did not resolve the problem. I ended up using a small unsupported utility call WinsockxpFix that allows you to back up your registry and basically run winsock reset and clean up network problems in the registry. It restored my ip address, network places and internet connectivity. The network adapter issue with winpkfilter miniport did not change. I know this is an old post, but if not resolved might be worth investigating. They do warn to use at ur own risk .... yada yada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users