Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White staticy box in top left of screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Every so often, I get a white box that is staticy in the top left of my screen. It always is on top of other screens, but does nothing to the computer.

It is a 17" Laptop. 1440x900.
Gateway MX8734
Ubuntu 9.10 (soon to be 10.04, in the process of upgrading)

Specs:
Chipset: Intel® 943GM
Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile processor T2060
1GB RAM
GPU: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

This was also happening on Windows Vista and XP while I had them. It doesn't affect the computer in any way. It is just annoying. What can I do? I do not use an external monitor at all.
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Sounds like a GPU issue. Normally I'd recommend that you swap it out, but I can't find any word on whether or not the GPU is replaceable in this laptop.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 pivotraze

pivotraze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

I noticed it does it most of the time during the boot, and rarely during actual use? Print-Screen doesn't capture it though
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Can you take a picture of it using a cell phone camera?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I am sure I am seeing the same thing after booting and while Firefox is loading. Though, once Firefox is loaded I no
longer see the square of desktop image. It only appears for a second or two.
Back in April when I first installed 10.4 I looked on the web for info on the strange space. Others were reporting it
and I never saw a fix for it. Haven't tried to find one since as I only see it for a brief time during each session.
Never happened on other distros....just 10.4.

EDIT:
I did find one mention of something similar. The fix was to disable all Firefox addons and then restart Firefox.
If the empty square goes away, then add back one addon at a time to find the one causing the problem.

That didn't work for me but it did for others.

Also, you said "staticy" which I assume means moving or appearing at different times. That isn't the case with me.

Edited by buddy215, 28 August 2010 - 04:30 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users