Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slides And Negatives

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 p&dora

p&dora

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:02 AM

Hello All: I am trying to transfer slides and negatives to burn to a CD. Can someone guide me through with baby steps please. Thanks :thumbsup: In addition to below, have external CD burner

Edited by p&dora, 03 November 2005 - 08:03 AM.

Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:48 AM

If you have gotten the pictures onto the computer it is fairly straight forward. Put hem all in one folder example: C:\MyPictures\ . At this ponit use your burning software to transfer a copy to CD.
What burning software are you using?
If you need to scan them into the computer it will be far more comlicated. Not hard you will just need special equipment. To stat a scanner with a negitive adapter.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:02 AM

If you have gotten the pictures onto the computer it is fairly straight forward. Put hem all in one folder example: C:\MyPictures\ . At this ponit use your burning software to transfer a copy to CD.
If you need to scan them into the computer it will be far more comlicated. Not hard you will just need special equipment. To stat a scanner with a negitive adapter.

Thanks Acklan: No I do not have the pictures on my pc. I would have to scan them which I tried to do this morning but they came out as black pictures. Obviously I don't have a scanner with a negative adaptor or if I do I don't know where it is lol. Will just have to give up on this I guess. Thanks again.

PS The burning software is Samsung 52x32xCD-RW

Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:21 AM

No No No No NO!!!!! You CAN'T GIVE UP. won't premit it. :thumbsup:
JUst kidding. A negitive adapter is a device that replaces the lid on your scanner to back light the negitive. Reflective light does not work.

List of examples...

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume...es&oid=53540928
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...0&modelid=11011
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...de=L1970A%23B1H

On short notice and without your scanner model number I could not find an adapter. I hope this will give you the idea though.

#5 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:30 AM

I too have a ton of slides left over from the fifties and sixties. I realized I didn't want all of them anymore but did want to preserve many of them. I looked into a Wal-Mart superstore and found out they could not only do them but also make prints if I desired and for less money than the new scanner would cost me all within their 1 hour photo shop.
After I realized what I'd had to spend on a scanner, put up with the learning curve of a new piece of hardware and never have any use for it again, not to mention all the time and work. I opted for WM. The frosting on the cake it actually cost me less. Each slide you scan as I understand from Epson takes something like 20 to 30 seconds.
For me it was a no brainier.
Floyd

Edited by floyd, 03 November 2005 - 10:32 AM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

I purchased a HP 4 scanner with the adapter, SCSI from ebay for $20. It scans in 8 sec. I have been scanning mom's negitive since 2002. Putting them on CD but thinking about DVD.

#7 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Acklan: No I do not have the pictures on my pc. I would have to scan them which I tried to do this morning but they came out as black pictures. Obviously I don't have a scanner with a negative adaptor or if I do I don't know where it is lol. Will just have to give up on this I guess. Thanks again.

#8 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:11 AM

No No No No NO!!!!! You CAN'T GIVE UP. won't premit it. :thumbsup:
JUst kidding. A negitive adapter is a device that replaces the lid on your scanner to back light the negitive. Reflective light does not work.

List of examples...

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume...es&oid=53540928
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...0&modelid=11011
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...de=L1970A%23B1H

On short notice and without your scanner model number I could not find an adapter. I hope this will give you the idea though.

Acklan: Thanks for your help. My scanner is a Lexmark X75 3 in 1 printer, copier scanner, does that help?

#9 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

Those 3 in 1 types are usually only for scanning printed pics or printed matter - not negatives or slides. Unless you want to continue doing slides and negatives, take the advice above and get it done at Wal-mart. I believe they will even put them on a CD for you. Also I think Costco has that service and even the drugstores like CVS and Walgreens.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

That is the type of CD-RW. What type of software (Nero, Eazy CD Creator,...)?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:49 AM

If you don't have a scanner that has an available negative scanner then the best and easiest thing to do is use Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc which will all do it for you and put the pics on a cd.

If you really want to do it yourself here's a website that may help:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?sectio...&article_id=876

Also, there is a photo program named "Gimp" that may be able to help you do it.

http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/gi...e_scanning.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 November 2005 - 12:53 AM.

#12 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:51 AM

That is the type of CD-RW. What type of software (Nero, Eazy CD Creator,...)?

So sorry, it is Nero

#13 p&dora

p&dora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:53 AM

If you don't have a scanner that has an available negative scanner then the best and easiest thing to do is use Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc which will all do it for you and put the pics on a cd.

If you really want to do it yourself here's a website that may help:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?sectio...&article_id=876

Also, there is a photo program named "Gimp" that may be able to help you do it.

http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/gi...e_scanning.html

Thank you for the information I think going the Walmart way is the way I will go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users