Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TutorialBot

TutorialBot

Bleeping Teacher

• Bots
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

A new tutorial titled How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector was added by BleepingComputer.com. Please use this topic to discuss any aspect of this tutorial.

A brief excerpt of the tutorial can be found here:

A common attack method for hacking attempts and malware installs is to exploit known vulnerabilities in programs that are commonly installed on a person's computer. These vulnerabilities could allow a remote user or malware developer to install malware, keyloggers, and backdoors on to your computer without your knowledge or permission. Some of the programs that are commonly exploited include Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Reader, Sun Java, Adobe Flash, and even Windows itself. Therefore it is crucial that everyone remain vigilant as to when a security vulnerability is found in our installed programs and to update it when a security update is released. Unfortunately, no one has the time to stay on top of these updates, which can happen frequently. Thankfully, Secunia has released a program called Secunia Personal Software Inspector that can be used to scan your computer for known vulnerable programs, provide information on the vulnerability, and provide a location to an update for the vulnerable program. This tutorial will walk you through downloading, installing, and using Secunia PSI so that your computer can remain secure.

We hope you find this tutorial helpful.

The Bleeping Computer Staff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

I download and installed the program and run a scan. I did it because it is in our tutorials. It went very smooth. The scan found that I.E. 8 needed a Adobe Flash updated. I did as instructed and the Adobe Flash Player updated easier than I have ever got Adobe anything to update. Thanks TutorialBot and Bleeping Computer. I have one more program (Bonjour) that I have to check on. So far it works great. I have been looking for a program that does what this one does.

Edited by Layback Bear, 27 August 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Just a little update. I remove Bonjour and I get a 100% safe. That means that everything is gone or patch if a patch is available.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Pretty good little tool...alerted me some critical updates that were not installed on this particular system.

I think I will keep installed :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

I got in installed on demand only. Good mourning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users