Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after several hours, slows down, shuts off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 susger

susger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

in the last few days, after 7 or 8 hours of use, my computer seems to slow down, stop functioning and shut itself off.
Or else, when I come back to it after being away several hours, it has shut down, without closing the programs properly.
The screen is black. I think the power is still on, although once I found the power surge bar shut off!
Is is difficult to boot up again, but once I power it up again, it boots without any problems, and runs fine, until it slows down, stops working and fails again.

The ambient temperature is cool, and the hardware diagnostics show no problem. No viruses or malware detected.
It's a stand-alone Dell dimension 8250, Intel, Pent 4CPU 2.66 GHz and the OS is XP Pro 2002, SP3.

I wonder if it is a Power issue. I have shut off standby and hibernate because they used to give me problems.
I don't have a special UPS installed.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by susger, 26 August 2010 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

If you found the power surge bar off, then I need to ask, is there a reset button on it? And did you have to reset it in order to get your computer back on?

Are you living in an area that has electrical "brown outs"?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 susger

susger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Yes, I had to reset it before I could power up the computer.
But that was the only time the surge protection seemed to have shut itself off.
All other failures occurred while the power supply to the computer was on.

I normally don't have brownouts or electrical spikes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users