Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello and a request for help installing Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blackdiesel

blackdiesel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi All,

I'm a new member that was referred here from cexx.org for a malware issue. While I'm here I also want to seek help with updating from SP2 to SP3. I tried installing from windows update many times when it was still being supported by ms, but was never able to.

I also tried to download and install the stand alone. It gets near the end of the install and then I get an error message "access denied". The sytem then removes all the SP3 files and reverts back to SP2.

I did a search but found that most people were having issues with AMD CPU units. My system is: XP Pro (Media Edition); (2) Duo 266ghz with 3.25 gigs of ram (4gb but windows only recognises 3.25)

Any help will be greatly appraciated.....

Edited by blackdiesel, 26 August 2010 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

I could be wrong...but I would think that your malware issue takes precedence over anything else involving an infected system.

If you would like to provide some detail as to what those issues are...and/or a link to your previous thread at the other website...it might help clarify what should be done.

FWIW: The reported issues with AMD processors...turned out to be HP/OEM issues due to the way they set their systems up. Just an info item.

Louis

#3 blackdiesel

blackdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

That makes sense. At this time I am still getting redirects. Here is the thread I started there: http://boards.cexx.org/index.php?PHPSESSID...p;topic=18836.0

Edited by blackdiesel, 26 August 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Looking at that link...it appears to me that you have started a malware thread in that forum...which you have not completed.

I don't do malware...if I do anything at all :flowers:...but I would think that you need to finish that thread before doing anything else, least of all seeking assistance in a different forum.

Seems to me, that would be the courteous thing to do, after personnel there have invested time and energy trying to resolve your situation.

As for SP3...the malware issue takes precedence over that, IMO.

Louis

#5 blackdiesel

blackdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Looking at that link...it appears to me that you have started a malware thread in that forum...which you have not completed.

Seems to me, that would be the courteous thing to do, after personnel there have invested time and energy trying to resolve your situation.

As for SP3...the malware issue takes precedence over that, IMO.

Louis

I had planned to continue the malware issue at cexx, I came here for the SP3 issue. But I see your point about finishing that issue before trying to correct the SP3 issue. I will revist this thread when/if I can get a hold of the malware thing.

#6 blackdiesel

blackdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

Ok I got the malware issue resolved now for the SP3 issue. Any suggestions?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:21 AM

OK...system manufacturer and model, please (e.g., eMachines T1234).

Louis

#8 blackdiesel

blackdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

No set model, the system was built by a private computer company. The specs are XP Pro (Media Edition); (2) Duo 266ghz with 3.25 gigs of ram (4gb but windows only recognises 3.25).

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Thanks, just wanted to make sure that you didn't have a Dell, HP, etc. system where the manufacturer has posted specific instructions for installing SP3. The following may be of some use:

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Setup Error Access is denied. - Tweaking with Vishal - http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-service-pa...cess-is-denied/

Louis

#10 blackdiesel

blackdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

Thanks a lot, everything installed and backed up. :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

Nice work, thanks for letting us know that it's resolved...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users