Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disabling internet explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daxx

daxx

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:36 AM

i have recently downloaded mozilla and im liking it very much . i downloaded this program because im having such a bad problem with pop ups. mozilla hasnt gave me any problems , but im still recieving popups from internet explorer. i am in the process of getting rid of the spyware and adware which your site is helping me at the moment, but i was wondering if there was a way i could disable internet explorer (using xp) . i have heard that you cannot and i have heard that you can , can anyone tell me which one is right? and if i can , please explain how.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:53 AM

Hi daxx,
I'm sorry, but it's not advisable to disable or try to remove Internet Explorer. When we get you cleaned up & get IE more secure, you can use it when you have to. But using Mozilla or any other browser not based on IE as your main browser, and using IE only when necessary, is an excellent idea.

If you haven't already, see the following thread for good discussion on this subject.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=145

BTW, I'm trying to get back to your HT thread. You've got something very hard to remove & how to go about it is almost at hand.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:03 PM

I use Firefox exclusively,even when I'm forced to use Windows XP . Do not try to remove Internet Explorer you will break things. I disabled IE and have not had problems. (disclaimer: Your Mileage May Vary)
Now:
Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs
Set Program Access and Defaults
Custom
Choose a Default Browser - check Mozilla
Internet Explorer - uncheck Enable access to this program

Note: Windows Update will still function properly and use IE

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 daxx

daxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

ok , they seemed to have worked , except no less than 10 seconds went by and a dll error came up . i dont think that it had anything to do with it , but im looking into it as of now, lol , thanks for the help guys.

and its cool thats its taking a while , i could wait a year just to get rid of this junk! lol
just keep me posted , im a very pateint person, especially when its helping me this much.

#5 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:00 PM

If I were to disable access to IE, would programs that embed IE in themselves work? For example, many file-sharing programs use IE for their embedded browser. Would I be able to use the browser in these programs?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:35 PM

Well, first, I don't think there is a way to actually disable IE short of attempting to uninstall it--which is bad news. What raw suggests is to change which browser is the default--doing this doesn't actually disable IE since you can still run it. But if you set, say, Firefox as your default browser most links you click in word processing documents & the like will open with the default browser. If a program has to use IE it should still open and run. The point in keeping IE updated and secured, is that some pages and sites are only compatible with IE. So sometimes you have to use it. Personally, until recently, I ran IE exclusively and had no problems with hijackings, spyware, etc.

And,BTW, if there is any way for you to use another browser besides IE for file-sharing use it. File-sharing will get you more malware infestations than anything else combined other than possibly an email client.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users