Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone here long time user of VirtualBox?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi;

Just trying VirtualBox 3.2.8...well curiosity hit me. I really do not know how it works other than what I read. So I used an old pc (P4/ 2.5gb ram / 160gb hdd) and have installed XP SP3 in it.

I plan to use/learn VirtualBox for programs trial.

VirtualBox set-up:

512mb memory
16mb video memory
3D acceleration enabled
2D acceleration disabled
Remote display disabled
Storage: 30gb
Audio: Windows DirectSound
Controller: ICHAC97
Network: Adapter1 - PCnet-FASTIII(NAT)
SerialPort: disabled
USB: Device Fileters 0(0active)
Shared Folders: 1

Can you help me with inquirie here, thanks:

a) I have installed software by or through Network Folders (Map Network Drive) of the host(my main system), shared it with the vbox I created. Preliminary installed PDFXchangeViewer free portable, CCleaner, Auslogics Defrag. Is the procedure correct or is there a more good/better approach to what I did?

cool.gif Do you have by your experience "good/tested approaches and it's corresponding settings" for trying out programs in a vbox that maybe very helpful for me...really appreciate this one. s

c) Security is a major concern for me. How can I carry on my existing security set-upto function inside the vbox(AV/firewall/on-demand security apps')...?

d) Is there any tips that you can give me to make my host system secure even when my vbox get's accidentally infected? How may I do that?

e) Can I install a different OS in a virtualbox? Can a 'main system' with XP SP3 have a virtualbox with Vista or better yet Linux or Windows7? If for Vista/Windows7 which I tried in a seperate hdd(on same test system) I did compatibility mode for certain drivers. How will this be in virtualbox?

f) Can I clone the vbox I created? On my host ystem I use Paragon Backup and Restore 10.2, if I clone the full system, will the vbox+settings be inside it?

g) I use only an 16inch LCD monitor with virtualbox display at 920x606...How can I make the display smaller..fonts/icons all-in-all..so if I lsee full view in a small unmaximized window.

h) Can SuRun to run LUA be used inside virtualbox...(might be a stupid idea..you can laugh here..lol..just asking? Or better yet, if you are running LUA via SuRun in the host ae there any issues that I need to know so my usage of VirtualBox will not be hindered?

h) In my other pc I have Returnil System Safe 2011. Is it redundant to have RSS 2011 with VirtualBox? Have you experiences with this?

i) Finally, (to get ideas as to how to use it more effectively...) How do you use VirtualBox? For what purpose and approaches/tips?

I hope I did not bore you with my questions...might sound elementary to VirtualBox users but asking "is" learning w00t.gif

Thank you! cool.gif

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 12:43 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Hi;

Some additional inquiries more please:

x) How do you set-up an internet connection in the vbox? I am having problems sharing the "Network Connection folder" of the my host.

I am very confused here. In my host system I use a prepaid dial-up connection and a wireless DSL. I want to set-up the prepaid dial-up first which in the host system uses a 56k modem. I thought it would be the same as in the host. I can set the connection but it does not recognize that there is a modem. It shows device missing.

In the default I see NAT as Adapter1. I read about something about "Bridge Networking" and "Internal Networking". I saw something that in Bridge Networking you will need a device driver so I tried to install the modems driver in the vbox but it did not went through.

What will I use..."Bridge Networking" or "Internal Networking" or what..?

Dial-up connection first and then I will try the wireless dsl but not yet.

How can I do it?

Also,

Can I use the host's connection to connect to the vbox or is it a separate one?

Really encountered a dead-ed here..don't knowhow to do it..:-(

xi) Is it necessary to set-up all my security apps in the vbox, well AV/firewall seems to be needed or can I just do with an AV?

I know this post maybe quite difficult or to a long time Virtual quite elementary but I'd appreciate some help or just possible approaches of course at your own liesure. Hit a snag at my trial and just plain don't know what to do:-(

Thanks again!:-)

#3 RVS_MikeW

RVS_MikeW

Authorized Returnil Representative

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi voltronDefender,

h) In my other pc I have Returnil System Safe 2011. Is it redundant to have RSS 2011 with VirtualBox? Have you experiences with this?

No, this is not redundant. VirtualBox like VMWare, VPC, etc work to simulate an entire computer and is not designed as a security solution. Using RSS 2011 on Host and Guest OSs can provide protection for both environments and keep accidental activation of malware on the Host from becoming a disaster. One note here would be to configure VB to create and store its virtual machines on a non-system disk (data partition D:\, USB backup drive E:\, etc) so you do not loose a virtual session when restarting the Host OS to clean up after a mistake (as described) or problematic configuration change.

Simply restart the computer and then reload your VB session.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users