Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISP says home computer sending spam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pappadan

Pappadan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

ISP says the my computer is sending spam. Their email:

"(ISP) has received notification of large amounts of spam being sent through your cable modem connection via IP Address. We do not believe that you are a spammer, but rather that your computer system(s) may have a virus or is an open proxy, as the result of a former virus or trojan.

Please make sure that your virus software is up to date. (ISP)'s technical support department does not offer support regarding virus removal or closing of open ports. Contact your anti-virus software manufacturer. You may wish to seek outside assistance to resolve this problem. (ISP)'s XXX Team at XXX-XXX-9XXX for virus removal and general computer maintenance (there is a fee for this service) or another vendor of your choice.

Once resolved, please contact Customer Service by emailing custserv@corp.XXX.net or calling XXX-XXX-XXXX.

If the issue is not resolved within 48 hours or we continue to receive reports, we may suspend your modem service."

I ran MalwareBytes, McAfee, Miscrosoft Malicious Software, Kaspersky Removal Tool scans. No malware/virus identified.

Do not know how to proceed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Run tcp view and see what program is connecting to port 25 at random addresses.

#3 Pappadan

Pappadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

Grinler. Thanks for your fast response. Will run the app when I return from work this evening.

#4 Pappadan

Pappadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Grinler,

Since I opened this post, I realized that my little-used HP laptop that is connected to my wireless network may have been the problem. I was running Kaspersky A/V 2010 and using the windows firewall. Some of the malware was detected on the laptop while using a public wireless connection while on vacation. Looking at the Kaspersky log history, there were some recent trojans etc. detected. I know better than to trust the windows firewall. I suppose I had a lapse of memory. I am currently wiping/restoring the windows partition of the laptop. Attached is the TCPview log from my Dell Dimension E510 desktop running XP Home edition. I hope it appears clean. I will contact my ISP for confirmation that the spam issue is corrected. If the spam problem continues, I will open a new post. Thanks again for your timely response. I do not want to waste your time.

Attached Files

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

The log looks clean!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users