Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donel

donel

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

This happened once before it lasted about a week and corrected itself. The computer works well, any number of programs can be running, but as soon as a Windows game - Spider, solitaire, etc is started the system crashes within ten seconds.
The timing the first time: It started after a weekly Windows update was applied. It ended after the next update. Coincidence?
That was several months ago
Timing for second time: It happened following last update.
I'm suspicious but not certain. Has anyone had this experience?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I am one of those people who installs every critical or recommended update windows update has offered for my computer, I can not tell you why your computer was crashing, the only difference between what you would receive for Windows 7 updates and what others would receive is hardware drivers.

Those I do not install, because they are not always the correct version or drivers and can sometimes cause problems.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

It's hard to believe it is drivers. This machine is used heavily for graphics. I am a photographer and my photo and video programs run very well. I can render full size HD movies with no problems. But, if I even open the games (Microsoft) folder it will crash. I've spent a good deal of today trying to crash this machine and I've only come up with starting a game. It's only Microsoft games, actually that's all I have on my computers. I use them to amuse me while I'm waiting for something else to happen. I'm not a gamer

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Have you checked event viewer to see if the error has been logged?

You might be able to get a bug check code from there.

Next time the crash occurs check event viewer and see if it is listed there.

If you wish you can download blue screen view to analyze your dump files.

Blue Screen View http://nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for the tip. Here is the report:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 8/25/2010 7:20:20 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Newphoto
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-26T02:20:20.487214000Z" />
<EventRecordID>304608</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Newphoto</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">127</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x8</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x8dd03750</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Additional info:
The crash occurs if I open the folder from the "Games" button on the start panel. There is a delay of 10 to 15 seconds before the crash occurs. During that time I can open a game and start playing it if I want. But the cash will occur. If I open the folder and just wait,without selecting a game the crash will occur.
One of the games, "solitaire", is listed as a most used program by name on the start panel. If I start that game from there it will play.
I uninstalled the last updates before the crashes started with no change in performance. I can't find anything else wrong with the computer.

#6 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

ADDITIONAL DATA:
The crash only occurs if the "Games" button on the right side of the startup panel is clicked. Any game can be started in any other manner without incident. You can for example, click, "All Programs", from the left side of the control panel and then from "Games" select the game you want to play. So while I still want to correct it. I'm not going crazy. I see just a local issue.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have to admit this is a strange situation and a rare one at that.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and have tried to replicate your problem, but I can not get the error to happen on my end no matter what I try.

I know I used my games start menu shortcut for the first time today and mine offered these options.

When my games folder opened, it poped up a window asking the following:

Do you want to use the recommended update and folder settings?

These two choices were offered to me to choose from.

1. Yes use recommended settings.

2. No, I want to customize my settings.

What options above did you choose originally?

Also in this folder is a menu at the top of the games folder it has the name OPTIONS

If you can get this window to open without crashing, choose OPTIONS and see what is happening here, perhaps you can choose default or make a change here different from the one you are using now.

Since I have not really messed with any settings here, mine may already be set to defaults and thus this is why I am not having any issues on my computer.

It's worth a shot.

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

By the way if it helps, the option I chose from the options I listed above was I chose (use recommended settings)

Bruce.

#9 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

Mr. Bruce, Thanks.
Problem gone with your advice, but I cannot see any reason why it worked!!
I opened the game folder from the control panel. I opened options and changed it at your suggestion. At this point the computer crashed as expected. After restarting the computer, I again went into the game folder and selected option. The option was not changed from the original setting. (Because the computer crashed before the change could be made permanent.) BUT the computer did not crash again and I have not been able to crash it since. So well done!
Since advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, I guess I believe in magic.
:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users