Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cenfath

Cenfath

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

I'm not really sure if this where to put this, I'm not even sure my computers infected. About three weeks ago my computer restarted itself (freaky possessed thing) while I was running World of Warcraft. I chalked it up as nothing (dumb, yes, I know) and went about my merry business until this last weekend it did it again, and then again last night and twice today within the span of about 45 minutes. Today it was while I was playing Warcraft. Last night, I think it may have been running but I was tabbed out and I'm unsure if I was playing when it restarted this past weekend. I recently moved about four weeks ago, I don't believe that had anything to do with it. I packed my computer in the original packaging it was shipped to me in so I don't believe anything was shaken loose (pretty sure it wouldn't work if it had, right?).

I'm not sure how much information I need to give you but I'm currently running Windows Ultimate 64-bit, Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.33 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM. Protected by MSSE and also use MalwareBytes and spybot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 THE LEGEND x7x

THE LEGEND x7x

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

hmm.. I believe I had a similar problem happen to me once.. and hopefully it's the same case for you. It should be a physical problem, not a internal system problem..
I'm assuming it is a desktop you're using?.. because what was happening for me was the fan in my tower was all bogged up with dust and build-up, and every once in a while it would get jammed. I believe my computer recognized that the components weren't cooling anymore and thus restarts or shuts down. This still might be the case if it is a laptop as well.
Personally, even if this isn't the case, it's still a good idea to clean your computer fan out once a month anyhow. First make sure your computer is turned off, unplug everything from your tower. Cleaning it is easy to do by taking off the side panel of your tower (or however else you can expose the inside) and blowing all the dust out.. I'd recommend doing this outside. Be careful not to damage your inner parts as well! If you want to take this one step further, your local computer place should sell spraying product specifically for this task...

If it still is happening, its most likely a cooling issue where your computer recognizes it's overheating and its only defence mechanism is to shut down... Either the room your computer is in is too hot, or your computer isn't cooling properly!..
Hope this helps!!!

-THE LEGEND x7x

#3 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how to tell if it's getting to hot or not. The tower itself is cool to the touch, nothing feels hot. And nothing is clogged. I just cleaned it prior to moving. Boyfriend has dust allergies and I'm rather pissy about dust in general so it gets a good cleaning if I think it's bad (but minute spec of dust is bad to me so I have to learn to live with some otherwise I'd never leave my house because I'd always be cleaning). I don't deny it might be a heating issue I'm just not sure how. :-\ Guess I should've said I have 80 mm fans x 3 (2 side fans and one top fan) and one 120 mm fan in the rear. Is there a program I can use to record the temperature?

Edited by Cenfath, 26 August 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#4 THE LEGEND x7x

THE LEGEND x7x

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hmm.. I did a little googling and came across this site: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
I can't really help you out about the program since I've never tried it, but it seems pretty good. Plus, it is free. Try to make a note of the component temp if/when your computer restarts..

As for your room temp, a good operating temperature for a PC is about 60 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (15 to 24 or so Celsius). Cooler than this is of course, better than warmer. Operating a PC in a hot room that is over 80 degrees Fahrenheit can make it very difficult to cool. *(http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/envAmbient-c.html)

I work for a school board, and all the server rooms and computer labs are generally very cold... Hopefully it's something simple like this, otherwise it may be a power issue, like a short of some sort.

-THE LEGEND x7x

#5 Cenfath

Cenfath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Okay, so I have CoreTemp installed and running but I'm at a loss for what I should be looking for or what these values should be compared to what they are or even if the values that CoreTemp is giving me are right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users