Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which items to delete

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lors

Lors

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

I pretty much consumed most of my disk space so im planning on removing some of my programs. As I checked my software I saw these following entries:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2. and another Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, also I have Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86) and Microsoft Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86),
another are these: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148, MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) and MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)

I was wondering if I can uninstall of of the programs since I am having multiple entries of the same program just with a different version. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

I guess that I would have to wonder...why you start with Microsoft anything...when looking for removal suspects. I would do just the reverse...anything other than my Microsoft programs/functions would be fair game :thumbsup:.

In any case...the NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5, SP1 entries...are all one package install. They should remain.

I have no idea what those sync entries refer to, since I don't sync anything and those are not critical updates.

I would leave the Visual Basic and XML installs alone.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

The following is an excerpt from this article.

To grossly oversimplify, it's a package of common support software that can be used by programs so that they don't all have to re-write the same software over and over again. More specifically, it's aimed at users of Microsoft's newer versions of programming languages like C#, Visual Basic .NET and others. The .NET framework provides a broad array of functionality that can be used by programs written in those languages to perform common tasks, most commonly things that involve interacting with Windows itself.

So you may well have programs installed on your machine that rely on the .NET framework, and thus deleting .NET will cause that program to fail. Over time, more and more programs have come to rely on .NET, so chances are actually pretty high that you have at least one and perhaps more that rely on .NET.

Microsoft has this article on the benefits of Net. Framework.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Lors

Lors
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

Great thanx.. So i should just better leave those stuffs alone..
Another thing, my WINDOWS folder in taking up 7.15 GB on my hard disc space.. isn't that too much or just enough?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Seven gigs seems about right for XP.
Have you run the Windows Disk Cleanup Utility?
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users