Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Computer Is A Mess!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ann9876

ann9876

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:08 AM

My kids have a computer that has Windows ME and Wndows XP on it plus a lot of other junk. It is hooked up to high speed with a wireless connection and it is so slow, it cant really do anything at all. I was wondering if i can uninstall everything and then reinstall the Windows XP and the things i need. Will that help my computer? It is running out of room on the hard drive. Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:09 AM

:thumbsup: to BC ann9876.

What kind of PC is it and how much RAM and (total) hard drive space do you have?

There's no point I can see in having XP and ME on your system so you would certainly gain a fair bit of space by getting rid of ME and starting afresh BUT you need to check what CDs you have - if your version of XP is an upgrade I'm not sure you can install it on its own (but I could be wrong). It's also very helpful if you have your motherboard driver CD but you can sometimes get away without it. You will also need to reinstall your wireless broadband software so you need that and the account/configuration details.

Do you have a CD Burner? If you have personal data - emails, contacts, photos, documents etc you will need to back all these up and CD is the easiest way.

Have a look in 'Add/Remove Programs' for a list of what is installed on your system and see if you can uninstall any items to gain some extra space which will help speed up everything else you do. Then do this:

Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 ann9876

ann9876
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:41 AM

What kind of PC is it and how much RAM and (total) hard drive space do you have?

There's no point I can see in having XP and ME on your system so you would certainly gain a fair bit of space by getting rid of ME and starting afresh BUT you need to check what CDs you have - if your version of XP is an upgrade I'm not sure you can install it on its own (but I could be wrong). It's also very helpful if you have your motherboard driver CD but you can sometimes get away without it. You will also need to reinstall your wireless broadband software so you need that and the account/configuration details.

Do you have a CD Burner? If you have personal data - emails, contacts, photos, documents etc you will need to back all these up and CD is the easiest way.

Have a look in 'Add/Remove Programs' for a list of what is installed on your system and see if you can uninstall any items to gain some extra space which will help speed up everything else you do. Then do this:

(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)

Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

#4 ann9876

ann9876
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

My kids have a computer that has Windows ME and Wndows XP on it plus a lot of other junk. It is hooked up to high speed with a wireless connection and it is so slow, it cant really do anything at all. I was wondering if i can uninstall everything and then reinstall the Windows XP and the things i need. Will that help my computer? It is running out of room on the hard drive. Please help. Thanks.

#5 ann9876

ann9876
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

I have done everything you said accept for the "defrag". A guy told me i had a 3rd space left. I have done everything i can to speed it up and it wont work. I have all the software for the computer. I installed windows xp myself. I have the original rescue discs and everything. I dont need to save anything that is on it what so ever. I want to just wipe everything out (ME and XP) and start over. I can reinstall everything myself i just dont know how to get rid of everything without messing stuff up.
Thank you for your help. This computer is for my kids so nothing major will be done on it. I dont know about the RAM. But it is a Compaq Presario Desktop.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

My oldest son's computer crawls like a slug - because he wants everything on it.

Go into Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) in XP, then click on the processes tab. Make sure that the "show processes from all users" box is checked, and then look in the lower left corner to see how many processes are running.

I've had up 50 running at one time (with 1 gB of RAM) and currently have 37 (it's a new install of XP and I haven't stopped the unneccesary ones yet).

If this is the problem, please go to this page ( http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml ), download and install the free program StartUpCPL (I don't like using MSConfig). It will put an applet called StartUp in your Control Panel. Double click on it and cruise around for a while - seeing what's running at startup on the system.

You can disable things by unchecking them - and if that causes a problem it's easy to just recheck them and you're back up and running. Just don't, at this early stage, start deleting entries.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

I have all the software for the computer. I installed windows xp myself. I have the original rescue discs and everything. I dont need to save anything that is on it what so ever. I want to just wipe everything out (ME and XP) and start over. I can reinstall everything myself i just dont know how to get rid of everything without messing stuff up.

Ok, you have the Compaq rescue disks which will restore the PC to the way it was when you bought it - which is good because it will be a fresh,uncluttered installation but bad because it will have an obsolete anti-virus program, probably no anti-spyware or firewall and it will require a lot of updating.

XP - you installed it yourself from what? Do you have a CD? What is the Title i.e. what type of XP is it?
So do you now have a dual boot machine or is it ME upgraded to XP?
You may be better off to skip the Compaq rescue and install XP direct.
Find and WRITE DOWN your Windows product key(s). There may be a sticker on the PC case or with the CD.
If not here's a free program you can download to find your product-key from Windows 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP and Server2003.
It also finds the key for Office97 and OfficeXP :
Keyfinder

We need to be certain you have these things before starting the deletion.

it is a Compaq Presario Desktop.

What is the exact model number?

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 ann9876

ann9876
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:51 AM

OK I got impatient and used the rescue disc! The computer is back to the way it was, it is a dual boot machine. It went back to the original settings(Windows ME) no XP anymore. I think I am going to leave it like that since it is for the kids. I dont see any reason why they need XP. They just play games and mess around on it. The only problem i am having now is getting the wireless connection to work. I installed the software for it, and i can find it under start up and system tools. But the hardware is not showing up. I have tried everything and it will not work. I cant get on line and it was working earlier.

I got it fixed and it is up and running great so far!!! I guess I figured it out the right way, only time will tell! Thanks for all your help!

Edited by ann9876, 04 November 2005 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users