Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Norton System Works

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:23 AM

I am not sure this is the forum for this question, but here goes.

I have just have to install Win 2000 on one of my computers that originally has Win 98. As part of that process I am having to reinstall most of the software...that's okay, I don't have anything else to do :thumbsup: .

I had Norton System Work on that computer and now I am trying to reinstall it. However, I must first uninstall it, and that is where I am having difficulty. When I use Add/Remove Programs, I get an error that it cannot find the 'log'. When I try to install over what I had originally, I get a message that the installation process cannot be completed until all of the original program is uninstalled.

At some time in the past, I had a similar problem with another software package, and I was advised to use Add-Remove Plus. Well that version is no longer available.

Do you have any advice as to how I can remove all of Norton System Works so that I can reinatall it again?

Thanks.

george

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:47 AM

You didn't say what version of Norton you're using.

Edit: removed a bad link.

Edited by tg1911, 03 November 2005 - 06:04 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Doffy90

Doffy90

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

Its not good to use Norton because you never can get it away. Of course u can remove the stuff that we see but there will still be crap in your computer.

#4 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

I am using Norton System Works 2001, with Win 2000 Pro

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:02 PM

Try this:
Uninstalling and reinstalling your Symantec program after you see error messages
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

I would recommend you use one of the freeware Antivirus' instead of reinstalling obsolete software. The two freeware antivirus' are full function.

Antivirus
AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware

Since this is a clean install I would recommend the following also, to get off on the right foot.

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
A Squared Free[\URL]

Utility
cCleaner

Firewalls
Sygate 5.4(I personally use)
[url="http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10434530.html?tag=lst-0-4"]Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for this...but I am still left with the Norton stuff on my HD that I want to get rid of. This is not a clean install because I still have some Norton stuff resident.

Is there nothing comparable to Add-Remove Plus that was available without charge? This was really great stuff, but how often do we really need it. Is Symantec the only software provider that presents such a challenge to removing their product?

The instructions provided by tg1911 were good, but exhaustive.

I use the Norton 2001 System Works as much for the utilities as I do for the virus protection. It seems that once my HD crashes and I have to rebuild it. or if I install the NSW on a computer that has not had a NSW installed, them I get the AV protection for another year on that computer. I have upgraded the virus protection on my other computers regularly.

How many virus protections programs do we need anyway?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:13 PM

Both Spybot S&D and cCleaner have program removal features.

Be very very careful with these programs!

They can and often do modify your registry. You should back up you registry to disk prior to any cleaning or modifing of your OS. I back my registy up every week. Wheather I tweat my system or not.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

Uninstalling Norton SystemWorks 2001 manually from Windows NT/2000
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunse...=&osv_lvl=&seg=

Aside from the fact that it is a huge resource hog, the complexity of the above is a very good reason never to use Norton!

Also try the following:
Using the Norton SystemWorks cleanup utility (SYMClean)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.n...001101612274407

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 November 2005 - 11:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users