Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant popup and possible trojan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Rock

Computer Rock

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

Hi there,

I have a problem because I keep getting websites that popup. They are not 'rude' or seem to go anywhere dangerous and I always just click out of them. Recently I was on a website which I go on everyday 'KHInsider' and I got this message that 'my computer was infected' and that a program will run a scan to see the dangers. I went into task manager and delete it from there. This has happened at least 3 times (not from the same site).

Also everytime I run AVG free it finds infections that have the word trojan in their label. It always finds from 4-12 of these infections and it always heals and removes exactly half and cant remove the other half.

Im sure the situation will get worse if I let the infections continue.

I know you are extremely busy but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Computer Rock, 26 August 2010 - 05:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.46) and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1
Download Link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:27 AM

First off - THANK YOU SO MUCH :thumbsup:

Second my OS is Windows XP. Here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4488

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

27/08/2010 7:23:54 PM
mbam-log-2010-08-27 (19-23-54).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 157325
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{n82028h4-6r84-w1v1-6156-57e037p27723} (Generic.Bot.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{r0dcxs7t-di53-gdqf-ioix-d74pd076m4ey} (Generic.Bot.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsName (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\asam (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Alex P\Application Data\logs.dat (Bifrose.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

Now rescan again with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but this time perform a Full Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning and to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Try doing an online scan to see if it finds anything else (i.e. remanants) that the other scans may have missed.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. If using a different browser, you will be given the option to download and use the ESET Smart Installer.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#5 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

Do I need to do anything with the threats that are now under the quarantine tab? Here is the Malware FULL SCAN log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4488

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

27/08/2010 9:51:06 PM
mbam-log-2010-08-27 (21-51-06).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|R:\|)
Objects scanned: 235214
Time elapsed: 40 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\system32\svchost.exe.vir (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

Do I need to do anything with the threats that are now under the quarantine tab?

Yes you can remove.

When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file and moves it into a virus vault (chest) or a dedicated quarantine folder, that file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system. The quarantined file is usually renamed before moving, safely held there and no longer a threat until you take action to delete it. One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of a crucial file that may have been flagged as a "false positive" especially if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology. Heuristics is the ability of a scanning program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. If that is the case, then you can restore the file and add it to the exclusion or ignore list. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Quarantine is just an added safety measure. When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can delete it at any time by launching the program which removed it, going to the Quarantine tab, and choosing the option to delete.

#7 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

The online log:

D:\CoD.rar probably a variant of Win32/Agent.FICVLEB trojan deleted - quarantined

I got this other log because the first one seemed too short.
log.txt:

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
# version=7
# iexplore.exe=8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6211
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=d9ed8dffc76b4a4c87f52c413dfbd931
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2010-08-27 01:16:45
# local_time=2010-08-27 11:16:45 (+1000, AUS Eastern Standard Time)
# country="Australia"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 2
# compatibility_mode=512 16777215 100 0 170120 170120 0 0
# compatibility_mode=1024 16777175 100 0 3605411 3605411 0 0
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 4353 4353 0 0
# scanned=71293
# found=1
# cleaned=1
# scan_time=3652
D:\CoD.rar probably a variant of Win32/Agent.FICVLEB trojan (deleted - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C

Edited by Computer Rock, 27 August 2010 - 08:25 AM.

#8 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

I finished doing everything you said so I decided to run an AVG free scan. However, 8 threats had appeared. 4 were removed and healed and the other 4 said 'object is inaccessible'. All threats have the same infection label: 'Trojan horse Adload_r.AKC'. Also another website had just poped up. I just clicked out of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry I don't know how to make images bigger. They are screenshots of AVG free

Edited by Computer Rock, 27 August 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Please download and scan with the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from one of the links provided below and save it to your desktop.Link 1 (scroll down the page)
Link 2
Be sure to print out and read the instructions provided in:How to Install Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
How to use the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
  • Double-click the setup file (i.e. setup_9.0.0.722_22.01.2010_10-04.exe) to install the utility.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • A window will open with a tab that says Autoscan and Manual disinfection.
  • Click the green Start scan button on the Autoscan tab in the main window.
  • If malware is detected, place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click the Delete button (or Disinfect if the button is active).
  • After the scan finishes, if any threats are left unneutralized in the Scan window (Red exclamation point), click the Neutralize all button.
  • In the window that opens, place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click the Delete button (or Disinfect if the button is active).
  • If advised that a special disinfection procedure is required which demands system reboot, click the Ok button to close the window.
  • In the Scan window click the Reports button, name the report AVPT.txt and select Save to file.
  • Copy and paste the report results in your next reply. Do not include the longer list marked Events.
  • When finished, follow these instructions on How to uninstall Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2010.
-- If you cannot run this tool in normal mode, then try using it in "safe mode".

#10 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

It detects a threat straight away but it when I click disinfect or delete it comes back and says "disinfection failed". Then I can't click on disinfect or delete - only skip.

What do I do?
Also do I check all boxes to scan?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the Malware Response Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#12 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

I know that I post the DDS in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. But do I still have to post the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool log here? Also I know ths is stupid to ask but what is a relevant title that I should use?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Computer Rock, 27 August 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

When your Helper responds you can advise you ran Kaspersky and have that log if they would like to review it.

#14 Computer Rock

Computer Rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:30 AM

Someone is now assisting me here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic343406.html

Thank you for your time and effort.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

You're welcome.

After posting a log and getting assistance, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users