Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 3 scanner running,will it conflict?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dragon2012

dragon2012

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:31 AM

Hi,I currently have 3 scanner running which is:
Avast 5
Malwarebyte Anti-Malware (Full)
Window Defender

Should I uninstall window defender?
Oh and sometimes malwarebyte will say there is a virus/malware and tell me to quarantine or ignore,
is it because of conflict?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:04 AM

sometimes malwarebyte will say there is a virus/malware and tell me to quarantine or ignore,

No. Malwarebytes is doing its job and alerting you to threats that are detected. In most cases you should choose quarantine. When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file and moves it into a virus vault (chest) or a dedicated quarantine folder, that file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system. The quarantined file is usually renamed before moving, then safely held there and no longer a threat until you take action to delete it. One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of a crucial file that may have been flagged as a "false positive" especially if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology. Heuristics is the ability of a scanning program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. If that is the case, then you can restore the file and add it to the exclusion or ignore list. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Quarantine is just an added safety measure. When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can delete it at any time usually by launching the program which removed it, going to the Quarantine tab, and choosing the option to delete. If it was a false positive, then you can choose the option to restore the file.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, that is not a universal rule. If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while these programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Edited by quietman7, 26 August 2010 - 06:14 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dragon2012

dragon2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:37 AM

sometimes malwarebyte will say there is a virus/malware and tell me to quarantine or ignore,

No. Malwarebytes is doing its job and alerting you to threats that are detected. In most cases you should choose quarantine. When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file and moves it into a virus vault (chest) or a dedicated quarantine folder.

But the problem is,there is nothing at the quarantine folder!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

There won't be anything in quarantine unless you take action to quarantine it...meaning you have to tell MBAM what you want to do with something it alerts you about.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 dragon2012

dragon2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

There won't be anything in quarantine unless you take action to quarantine it...meaning you have to tell MBAM what you want to do with something it alerts you about.

As you see,the pop-up from malwarebyte occasionally ask me to 'Ignore' or 'Quarantine' a infected,I press Quarantine everytime but there is still nothing in the Chest Box!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users