Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would this work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:12 AM

Is is possible to modify a computer case and add in a second motherboard to add more ram, therefore increasing the speed / general preormance of my computer?
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 komputerfreek

komputerfreek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

No.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

You cannot simply mod a case and put a second motherboard inside, having the PC use two mobo's at the same time. There are a huge number of technical issues involved in doing that, however, some specialized systems are designed to be modular but nothing like that is in the consumer space.

3939.png

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

You could try using the Readyboost feature in Vista or 7.
If you're good at computer engineering, you could try to build a beowulf cluster, which is what I think you have in mind. As far as I know, you have to be using Linux or Windows Server for this to work. Even then, network speed can be a big bottleneck. I don't recommend it unless it is only for show.

Edited by RainbowSix, 28 August 2010 - 03:02 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Modifying the case? can it be done? sure. Thats easy, drill holes, put in standoffs. Getting the two to fit without heatsinks touching, hooking all the power cables together, etc, thats a little more difficult. The hardest part, would be generating the cooling necessary, as two motherboards and two CPUs together in the same case is going to put off a LOT of heat. Definetly not practical, if you wanted to do that you would probably need another computer, network them together, kind of like that beowulf cluster that rainbow recomended. However, this takes a very advanced knowledge of computers, programming code and the ins and outs of linux and other opensource OSes.. So can it be done? yes, but not practically and not realistically, you would be better off upgrading ram, computer, or like has been previously suggested, if your running vista using a jump drive and ready boost-I did that for awhile and it worked wonderfully.

Edited by the_patriot09, 28 August 2010 - 11:42 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users